Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Desert Center Auction Sedan

So I won the Durant sedan at the Desert Center,Ca auction last week and was able to clean it out this weekend and get a good look at things.

IMO it not a restoration candidate, I have seen some very nice examples that do not fetch enough money to justify the time and money that it will take to get it to that condition.

It does have a little rust, nothing really structural or alarming. The piece of wood on the passenger side sill plate is very rotted, however this does not look too complex. The large, upper "header" on the passenger side is needing replaced, this one looks fun... long piece with compound curves.

The engine was partially dissembled, head is off and valves and pistons removed. The radiator was repaired at some point, the repair looks to have failed.

The wheels seem to be in decent shape, the outer rims have some rust but the inner wooden parts seem in good condition.

My plan at this point is to rebuild the wood frame components as required, strengthen the body with steel tubing, and swap in a more powerful drivetrain. I hope to find an interesting engine that will fit under the factory hood.

Almost a rat rod build, but as the car is very complete I will leave the body as-is and "hot rod" the car.

My question is: Are there any components from the drivetrain that would be valuable for resale?
I will get rid of four wheels, the rear axle, the engine, trans, and driveshaft; exhaust, starter, distributor, carb, fan, and possibly the front axle.

I am keeping all of the cosmetic/body components.

Also, do you know of anyone that fabricates that the big wood header piece the runs the length of the cab atop the doors?

Where Are You From? AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Desert Center Auction Sedan

Wood framed bodies are not good candidates to be mated to high horsepower engines. You should pass this on and find an already steel bodied car to modify.

Where Are You From? Oshawa, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? not yet

The more I study the car I can see that you are right. It would take a lot to get it to hold up to high horsepower launches and hard braking.

I really like the wood wheels and the looks of the complete, unmodified car. I know the wood wheels wont hold up either so I've started to look for another W5 engine to rebuild, the one I've got is pretty rough.

If anyone has a line on a good W5 I may be interested.

Where Are You From? Arizona

Thought you were going to keep it eBay 283711782027 1928 M2 Durant

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

I've got quite a few other projects going at the moment, so I figured if I can make it worth my while to sell it I would, otherwise I will keep it and tackle it a little ways down the road.

I think you have too much invested in this project.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Probably, they don't seem very valuable, even when restored. But I don't have 5k in the car at this point, that's just what it would take for me to let it go. Its just an ambitious number, if I can get...great. If not, I'll keep the car.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club