Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Following a Star

Time to bring the beginning of this saga to the top.
hope this answers some of the questions on "convertible roadsters"
enjoy.....frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown PA

Do You own a car built by Durant? too many

Jim
As you know I've been disassembling my Durant and re-doing some of my woodwork. I think most of mine is original wood in some places and I've discovered two things. Most of the wood is left natural it seems with no visible preservatives. I do have to say that many pieces are either painted body color or have an overspray on them. I've found no evidence of any shellac, tung oil etc on the wood that I've seen. I do know that I've put a coat of Polyurethane made by Minwax on mine to help seal and preserve it. I figure it really won't matter since most of it is not seen when the interior is in place.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 dr

Jim
I bought my first star car in 1937. Changing a window I had to remove the interior panels and the only painted parts on the wood is what showed at the edge of the door frame. This was the color of the car.
From that I would presume that wood frames on Star cars are were not painted, except for the over spray that you meantioned.
Bob

Where Are You From? Long Beach , CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Thank you for all of the replys about finishing the new wood. It appears that leaving the wood natural with painted/oversprayed wood around the body panel openings is the answer.
Of coarse we will seal the wood..Thanks again,Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flint 80

Hello All
With all of the questions I've been getting lately, I thought I would send this thread back to the top of the forum. Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

The Durant Motors Automobile Club