Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: VIN plate on ebay

xxxx

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Well not to belittle this point(but why not it's a cold,quiet weekend, nothing going on, right?), but on my computer it looks like the numbers are cast into the plate giving a raised appearance. That would mean each plate had the numbers set up for a special cast. (note especially the number "2"). Obviously no big deal, but like was mentioned above, no two alike. Ross

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Ross I think what you notice is an optical illusion. I do not have access to the 1254 plate but it would be impossible to raise the serial number ... without other evidence (a sunk block)over the entire face of that plate.

plates-L-1254
plates-L-5655

That is a nice stamp set...

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Bob: I agree with you: "no two the same".
My 1930 614 from Oakland has the 614 and vin stamped in on the plate. However, my 1931 612 from Lansing has the 612 lettered (printed) rather than stamped. The vin number is stamped, but it has a Roman style to the lettering which, depending on the angle and light when viewed, could appear to be raised lettering rather than stamped in lettering (an optical illusion). It looks like the second plate in your last email (second photo).

Where Are You From? Ellensburg, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Yep "no two the same" Mine has a - between 6 and 14 plus the J is also stamped .. The 1930 eBay one is all one 614, Bob's painted one no separation either. Goes with the "no two cars the same" ha ha

Capture

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

I noticed another id plate on ebay. What dawn on me is that some plates are so neat and have fancy stamps that Durant Motors would have had to have bought these pre-stamped. It would make sense. If you go to the trouble of ordering these plates, you know how many frames you are going to need.. why not order the number series of plates needed. Put the stamping burden on the plate provider?

M2-E-31917

M2

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3

The Durant Motors Automobile Club