Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Differential Assembly for my 1928 Model 65

Thanks guys for the assistance on this. I'm not a machinist but I'll figure this thing out. I ordered the seals Rick used, the ones Dave used and all of them come close to fitting the area it needs to fit in, but does not seal around the axle shaft as it should. Figures Durant probably used a number of different axle shafts for production doesn't it. Rick's is the closed to the other diameter and depth, but not the rubber part seal which is about almost a 1/4 inch bigger around the axle. I just ordered a set of seals that Steve used and see if they are closer. I'll also find the chart of seals that Steve mentions and try and figure out the measurements. I only have a caliper and not a machinist micrometer to get inside there. I'll keep fiddling with it and see what I can come up with. Dave the pinion unit had three metal shims between the pinion mount and the differential that I've saved so I do have them. Thankks.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

If you look at the seals I used I believe they are "double lip seals" to seal from both directions.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

In many cases seals have the "double lip" incorporated in the design for sealing on a rotating/sliding shaft or diameter. Look closely at the cross section of the seal and only one lip seals against fluid leaking out of the cavity (in this case, oil out of the differential). This lip would be the larger or the more prominent lip of the seal and should be pointed toward the fluid to be sealed. Depending on the application, this lip may have a small spring wrapped around the outer diameter of the lip to give tension to the seal lip. The other lip points in the opposite direction and is there to keep any foreign debris (dirt, water, etc.) from entering the area being sealed. If their is only one lip seal then it should be installed pointing toward the fluid. Hope this helps.

Where Are You From? Rising Sun, Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club