Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: So much confusion holding up decision about what to do with unidentified Durant (?) chassis

Bill Hoaglan
Mark,

Pretty sure that these chassis pics are an M-2, either a M-2 Star or an M-2 Durant (same frame) You can see differences between your frame and the pics...Spring hangers are different, core support member is different you can probably fine other differences, also, like Don said the M-2 has rubber engine mounts which require their owne brackets, It appears that your frame may have engine mounted on the core support?...I downloaded these pics from an earlier post on the forum and now can't find the thread.

Hi Bill. Thankyou so much for posting the pictures. Pictures like these help so much and will motivate me to actually get out to the shed tomorrow and look for the differences.

Where Are You From? South Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Chassis only, model M

Re: So much confusion holding up decision about what to do with unidentified Durant (?) chassis

Thankyou everyone again and especially Don. I just bought the original plate below off Ebay USA which looks correct to me based on Don's advice. So, my chassis has now become a 1927 one built in Lansing, 08/1926? :grinning: I can finally plan my build, most of which will be done in CAD before any cutting or welding is done.

my-new-old-data-plate-hooray

no man is an island lyrics by john donne

Ha ha ... lets confuse you more. vins are model year not production year. So Aug 1 to July 31 of next year in most cases with Billy's empire. Effective 1930 and later they stopped that practice and model year would only be when a model was updated. As example the 1930 614 Durant was Jan 4 1930 to Dec 31 1930. 1931 614 model year was Jan 1 1931 to Jan 31 1932. 1932 model year was Feb 1 1932 to end of Durant's in 1932. Only the Frontenac and Rugby trucks went to Dec 1933 when all production stopped for good at Dominion Motors in Leaside. Lansing the last plant US stopped Aug 1931. Leaside became totally Canadian owned and operated Jan 14 1931 to make whatever it wanted, name changed to Dominion Motors later. They decided to continue the Durant / Rugby lines.

Having said that your vin plate L 389786 is 1927 model year from Lansing plant. 1926 model year for M Star at Lansing is L 350,000 to L 379,999 Jan 1 1926 to July 31 1926. 1927 model year is L 380,000 to L 414,999 Aug 1 1926 to July 31 1927. 1928 model year is L 415,000 to L 425,000 Aug 1 1927 to Dec 31 1927 and M model was replaced by the M2 Jan 1 1928 and I won't confuse you more after that ha ha.

So production wise your plate could be in 1926 and I would go with that. You can claim the car was imported from Lansing by some owner in its past, which is why it has the Star plate not a Rugby plate. Exports are Rugby to OZ and other countries since Britain already used the Star name.

"Beside badges and right hand drive for some models, the vehicle was identical to Durant's Star car, and was assigned to export markets by Durant Motors, due to the name Star being under copyright by The Star Motor Company in the British Commonwealth. The Rugby was built from 1923."

One of our members in Ontario owns a 1930 407 Rugby (Durant) touring that was exported to Argentina by Leaside, brought back and restored by him.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Don Shilling
Distance to travel is no obstacle! Road Trips can be fun! Seems like there was a write up in the early club magazine on Jeff\\\'s twin W5 roadster. Maybe someone can locate a copy for you.
Hi Don, actually a road trip with my Dad is now sort of tentatively booked but has to work with and around my Chemo and the other treatments sadly. Gotta beat the grim reaper before I force this Durant to submit to my will (sorry, couldn't resist a little gallows humour :grinning: )

I've let the lady in Queensland know that we might still head up to pick over the pile of bones she has there.

Cheers, Mark

Norm Toone
Ha ha ... lets confuse you more. vins are model year not production year. So Aug 1 to July 31 of next year in most cases with Billy\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s empire. Effective 1930 and later they stopped that practice and model year would only be when a model was updated. As example the 1930 614 Durant was Jan 4 1930 to Dec 31 1930. 1931 614 model year was Jan 1 1931 to Jan 31 1932. 1932 model year was Feb 1 1932 to end of Durant\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s in 1932. Only the Frontenac and Rugby trucks went to Dec 1933 when all production stopped for good at Dominion Motors in Leaside. Lansing the last plant US stopped Aug 1931. Leaside became totally Canadian owned and operated Jan 14 1931 to make whatever it wanted, name changed to Dominion Motors later. They decided to continue the Durant / Rugby lines.

Having said that your vin plate L 389786 is 1927 model year from Lansing plant. 1926 model year for M Star at Lansing is L 350,000 to L 379,999 Jan 1 1926 to July 31 1926. 1927 model year is L 380,000 to L 414,999 Aug 1 1926 to July 31 1927. 1928 model year is L 415,000 to L 425,000 Aug 1 1927 to Dec 31 1927 and M model was replaced by the M2 Jan 1 1928 and I won\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t confuse you more after that ha ha.

So production wise your plate could be in 1926 and I would go with that. You can claim the car was imported from Lansing by some owner in its past, which is why it has the Star plate not a Rugby plate. Exports are Rugby to OZ and other countries since Britain already used the Star name.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Beside badges and right hand drive for some models, the vehicle was identical to Durant\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Star car, and was assigned to export markets by Durant Motors, due to the name Star being under copyright by The Star Motor Company in the British Commonwealth. The Rugby was built from 1923.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

One of our members in Ontario owns a 1930 407 Rugby (Durant) touring that was exported to Argentina by Leaside, brought back and restored by him.
Hi again Norm for the additional information which is all helping to flesh out Billy's seemingly haphazard world of business.

You wrote: "So production wise your plate could be in 1926 and I would go with that. You can claim the car was imported from Lansing by some owner in its past, which is why it has the Star plate not a Rugby plate. Exports are Rugby to OZ and other countries since Britain already used the Star name."

I was aware of the Rugby naming issue but I doubt SA Motor Reg will be so I will claim a degree of ignorance on that one if it comes up. At least it's unlikely this particular "VIN" will come up on their computer as already registered!. USA plate and my chassis was found in Victoria too. Before I even get that far I have to submit a detailed "street rod" build proposal. I'm finally heading in the right direction :grinning:

You have all been most generous with your time and information. Thankyou so much. I'm going to try to keep my blog at Browny's Place as updated as I can whilst this thing progresses so please all feel free to drop in there to take a look and give your opinions both positive and negative.

Browny's Place

This has been a long series of posts, so I'm not sure where to butt in. It sounds like you need
a frame of a legitimate car to start with, which you have. In the US you can build anything and
get a title after inspection. Thus the Rat-rod phenomenon.

I would suggest that putting it on wheels wouldn't be so hard, even in Australia. [In my case,
who would have guessed 1958 Ford pickup axle would fit precisely to the springs on a 1928 Essex. This frame was used with a 1925 Dodge Brothers Coupe Body]. The width varies with cars and trucks, but the late model axles are still pretty antique-looking, and come with hydraulic brakes. Studebaker, Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet.

As for engine, you could simulate Durant by using any of the flathead sixes, which also look
antique. Such as American Motors, Fords, Hudsons, REO, Studebaker, Willys Overland, Kaiser, Chrysler. Last Dodge Power Wagons still used them in 1980's. Many Continental and Chrysler engines were used in farm machinery. Perhaps even in Australia.

Ideally, you would want a floor-shifted transmission and flywheel clutch. Heavy truck trannies
are probably overkill. Perhaps a stick shift from a Jeep Cherokee [Japanese-made], or equivalent.

Rear axles are wide open for selection. It would be nice to fit in the fender area and to have
same bolt pattern as front wheels.

As for cowl, firewall, body, you have to have a eye for what can be cut and pasted together from
old farm equipment, truck cabs, etc. Radiators, being a prominent feature would be difficult
unless you can build one from other parts, like a tractor grille. There still are Durant grilles around.

As for the body, you may take some tips from the movie, "Chitty Chitty, Bang, Bang!"
Boat tails were built. Aircraft cloth and Shellac had their day. I visualize the panels of old
grain combines with their compound curves. Weld up a roadster body.

yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=harvest&th=40436

Enough of this castle-building. Thanks.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

cdmn
This has been a long series of posts, so I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m not sure where to butt in. It sounds like you need
a frame of a legitimate car to start with, which you have. In the US you can build anything and
get a title after inspection. Thus the Rat-rod phenomenon.

I would suggest that putting it on wheels wouldn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t be so hard, even in Australia. [In my case,
who would have guessed 1958 Ford pickup axle would fit precisely to the springs on a 1928 Essex. This frame was used with a 1925 Dodge Brothers Coupe Body]. The width varies with cars and trucks, but the late model axles are still pretty antique-looking, and come with hydraulic brakes. Studebaker, Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet.

As for engine, you could simulate Durant by using any of the flathead sixes, which also look
antique. Such as American Motors, Fords, Hudsons, REO, Studebaker, Willys Overland, Kaiser, Chrysler. Last Dodge Power Wagons still used them in 1980\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s. Many Continental and Chrysler engines were used in farm machinery. Perhaps even in Australia.

Ideally, you would want a floor-shifted transmission and flywheel clutch. Heavy truck trannies
are probably overkill. Perhaps a stick shift from a Jeep Cherokee [Japanese-made], or equivalent.

Rear axles are wide open for selection. It would be nice to fit in the fender area and to have
same bolt pattern as front wheels.

As for cowl, firewall, body, you have to have a eye for what can be cut and pasted together from
old farm equipment, truck cabs, etc. Radiators, being a prominent feature would be difficult
unless you can build one from other parts, like a tractor grille. There still are Durant grilles around.

As for the body, you may take some tips from the movie, \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Chitty Chitty, Bang, Bang!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
Boat tails were built. Aircraft cloth and Shellac had their day. I visualize the panels of old
grain combines with their compound curves. Weld up a roadster body.

yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=harvest&th=40436

Enough of this castle-building. Thanks.
Hi CDMN. Please feel free to butt in anywhere and everywhere on anything I post. Also, please feel free to tell me to stop posting if it all goes on too long or goes too off-topic for the board. That said, had I not asked you guys for help when I did, my attempt to return a discarded chassis to a useful and hopefully interesting life would have been at an end. Thankyou again one and all.

I don't think I've ever seen a car on a South Australian road that I would considered a US style "rat-rod". The level of red tape we have to deal with is huge, starts at the Federal level and is further "interpreted" by each State. Having that chassis number means I can submit paperwork to obtain a letter from our motor registration authority which will give me permission to start work on something which, providing I follow the national street-rod construction guidelines to the letter, gives me reasonable hope but no certainty that on inspection day I will be granted registration. The system effectively locks and unlocks my shed; no just going outside to build something today that I would like to, just because I would like to. Sure, I could do that providing I'm willing to accept the likely consequences.

This will be much easier to do now because I can fill in all the numbers when I submit my MR640 Form, the "APPLICATION TO BUILD A STREET ROD" form, before I start to build. As a point of possible interest, That form is available online: MR640-Application-to-build-a-STREET-ROD as are the construction guidelines

Thankyou also CDMN for the construction and parts usage tips which have started me thinking about the overall design direction.

My Blog about all my build my own car sillyness: Browny's Place

The Durant Motors Automobile Club