Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sad news of the passing of long time DMAC member Bill Vigus.

I received and email today from our Editor Carol who had been contacted by Donavee Vigus that her husband Bill Vigus passed away sometime in July. No idea why we are just getting this information now, but Bill and Donavee were great members and Bill loved and cherished his Flint sedan highly. Those of you that had the pleasure to meet Bil and Donavee just knew he was a great man, a true car guy and a good member of the DMAC. Bill was present with his car an several events over the years, mostly around Michigan, but did venture to Auburn, Indiana for a National meet there. His car was a fine example of a rare (not many in the DMAC) Flint sedan in a beautiful blue color. Bill even won a 2nd class Junior Award by the AACA at Hershey one year for his restoration and car.

One funny story about Bill is at the meetings I attended with him and his car he'd never really drive it. He'd bring it to the meets on a trailer, pull it off to the parking lot and there it would sit until going back in the trailer to go home. I would constantly tease him about his "trailer Queen" Flint and would always egg him on about driving the car. Well at an East Coast Spring Meet in Kalamazoo, Michigan that had the Chapter traveling to the Gilmore for a road trip, by egging finally paid off and Bill and Donavee agreed to drive their car from Kalamazoo to the Gilmore Museum, about 20 miles. The trip going went perfect, nice weather, back roads, everyone stayed together. We toured the Gilmore, then went to lunch at a great local restaurant but then as we headed back to the base hotel in Kalamazoo the bottom fell out of the clouds and a torrential downpour happened. Attending members were scrambling for overhangs to pull their cars, people were scrambling to get their tops up, some of which who we won't mention hadn't had their top up since their car was new I think, and got soaked. I always felt bad that all the time I egged Bill on to drive his car, the day he finally relented was the day Noah appeared and the waters came down! And that's my Bill Vigus story. Rest in Peace good friend you will be missed by your extended family!

OBITUARY

VIGUS, William Charles – of Clio, age 84, died Monday, July 2, 2108 at his home. Honoring William’s wishes, cremation has taken place and no services will be held. Memorial contributions can be made to Sloan Museum.

William was born May 15, 1934 in Detroit, Michigan to the late William and Velma (Henderson) Vigus. He grew up in Rochester, Michigan and graduated from Gaylord High School with the class of 1952. On January 12, 1953 he married Donavee V. Cook in Detroit, Michigan. Prior to his retirement in 1989, he worked for Electro Plating Industries for 12 years. William was a member of the Durant Car Club. He enjoyed antique cars, oil painting, hunting and hiking. William also liked to garden and traveling, however his greatest joy in life was his family.

Surviving are: Wife, Donavee; Children, Rebecka Vigus, William Dean Vigus, Diane (Marty) Sather, Nancy Manns; Grandchildren, Jamie (Phil) Kline, Clinton (Carrie) Vigus, Karen (Anthony) Attardo, Casey (Steve) Burke, Ryan Sather, Kimberly Sather, Lisa Sather and Savannah Manns; Great Grandchildren, Megan Kline, Jason Kline, Eli Vigus, Teddy Burke, Josie Burke; Siblings, Barbara (Connie) Gutzman, Thomas Vigus. He was preceded in death by his Parents and Sister, Rosemary Putman. Please sign our guestbook or share an online condolence with the family at www.oguinnfh.com.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Re: Sad news of the passing of long time DMAC member Bill Vigus.

So sorry to hear about Bill's passing. Our sympathy is extended to Donavee along with the rest of the Vigus family. If my memory serves me correctly Bill also had his car at the Back to the Bricks in Flint for the dedication of the remodeled Durant Hotel. That also had Bill's car out in the rain. Bill will truly be missed as a member of our club.

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 star, 1928 Durant

Re: Sad news of the passing of long time DMAC member Bill Vigus.

I’m sorry to learn this. I had reached out to Bill in September but did not get a response. Bill and I displayed our cars side by side at the Sloan car show last year? and truly enjoyed ourselves. As I assisted him in loading the Flint into the trailer he said “this is the last show for me” meaning it was just too difficult for him to trailer and show. A couple calls afterwords with offers to assist but we never did pull it off.

Where Are You From? Brighton MI

The Durant Motors Automobile Club