Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A story for Norm Toone

Norm, when I bought my Durant out in Perth 3 years ago, I believe you pointed me towards an old w5 engine sitting out in Kelfords scrap yard on Scotch Line Road in Perth. At the time I looked at it and did not come to a deal with Mr. Kelford, I was not that committed and he was not that enthusiastic about selling it, particularly at the price I was willing to pay. I have the car finished and on the road but it blows blue smoke even though the compression is reasonable and it has power. I thought for a winter project I would check out the W5 and perhaps rebuild it over the winter. I am not a mechanic and I don't want to fool around with the original engine if it is running. I drove out to Kelford's this morning and found the shop that housed the engine gone. However, Mr. Kelford was coming out his door so I stopped and talked. The shop burned last April and the engine was sold for scrap. I wish I had bought it 3 yrs. ago and he wishes that he had sold it to me. A story of missed opportunities. I know that you know this area and would appreciate the story.

BTW, anyone with suggestion on solving the smoking problem, I'm interested.

Jim

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant D40

Re: A story for Norm Toone

Many years back Kelford's had all sorts of vintage vehicles sitting in the yard and along the road. All got crushed and off for scrap metal. I had often wondered what was in the building on Kelford Rd across from the house. Scouts Canada Camp Opemikon used to have items welded at Kelford's. They wanted the canoe trailer raised so it held two more rows of canoes and Kelford's added the two upper sections onto the existing three. I never did get to wander in the building but did note an antique Coke a Cola 5 cent clock on a wall. Bet there was all sorts of car parts and antiques in that building.

Can't think of a W5 lying around off hand but have been a couple on Forum / eBay for sale. There is supposed to be the remains of a 40 somewhere on upper side of Lanark but its guess work now where that might have been.

Roblins Garage down Picton way used to have from forward of cowl of a 40 with the W5 in it for $50 Unknown if they still have it. It was used as a saw mill and brought in with a Gray Dort saw mill which was bought.

http://www.roblins.net/index2.html look under Virtual Tour then Other makes to see the 1929 Durant.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Re: A story for Norm Toone

I did a quick walk through the shed 3 years ago. Full of old sleighs, tools and car parts. Mr Kelford said that it broke his heart when it burned. He still has a few old tractors around and odds and ends. He said that he is too old to start over. Aren't we all'. Jim

The Durant Motors Automobile Club