Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WANTED: Bumper center "D" medallion

Todd E Frye
Finally got to an actual computer!

\\\\\\\"IMG_20150207_135704_076\\\\\\\"

\\\\\\\"IMG_20150207_135719_362\\\\\\\"
Todd loaned me this bumper medallion to use as a pattern for molding and casting, it is for our round face twin bar bumpers...Did a little prep work on the back to thicken the medallion pattern as well as enlarge the shoulder for installing a 1/2"-13 double ended stud...I think I have them cranking out pretty spiffy now, I'm using an Alcoa aluminum alloy, same stuff they make truck wheels out of... I did a stress test on one of them while I had it clamped in the mill vice, I bridged between medallion stud nut and the medallion itself at mid span and torqued nut to 45 lbs...Nothing bent , broke or blew up and most important the threads didn't pull...Anyway, thought I would pack up all my sand casting stuff and take it to Arizona and ram up a few more castings down there this winter providing I have space in the trailer behind the Flint.

Forgot to mention, I was able to machine the backside flat (as shown in second pic on the left) to use with the flat bar bumpers having a 1 1/2" spacing.

IMG-1616

IMG-1615

IMG-1598

IMG-1586

IMG-1573

IMG-1578

IMG-1579

IMG-1580

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3 or 4

Todd: Thanks for your offer to lend the medallion. Count me in for a medallion reproduction of Todd's. Any suggestions as to who the could cast them?

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Perhaps the Neil / Mike Butter in Cobourg Ont who cast Durant and Graham (Paige) parts.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Todd;
Count me in for one too. It's missing the back metal piece that holds it in place on the bumper, but that can be fabricated easily out of metal. Just an oblong piece of metal that holds it onto the bumper. I presume that more would be purchased as many of these fell off and were lost when the nut loosened from the old bumpy roads. Not sure what years, but would figure 1928-1929 probably. Does anyone think it could be used for earlier or later models? Lets see how many responses and we could contact the Butters brothers and see what they would want to cast and create these. 28-29 probably would be chromed, earlier nickel plated.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Mike, not sure what models used that bumper adornment 1928 - 29. Might be certain models only, with the D crest on rad. Remember no Durant 1927 and 21 - 26 bumpers were an option and not twin bar.
Was going to say 1930 and later were a whole new vehicle with different crest etc so not used BUT looking at the 1931 deluxe 614 with winter front rad shells out of Lansing, I have two brochures showing some sort of adornment both side of the center cast iron crest shaped medallions. Neither brochure can you make out if oval or rectangle shaped. Terry has one brochure cover but not the other one.
Now having said that no Leaside 1930 and later ad or brochure shows any adornments be it standard, special, or deluxe car. Also the ad I got from Eugene Register Guard newspaper Mar 29 1931, in Oregon, for the deluxe 614 does not show any adornments either, but it doesn't have a winter front rad shell, but it does day the car has the Pullman feature and shows the interior with seat flat. I thought Pullman was 610 / 612 and last of the C-400 Fronty's ( Steve's C-400 has the feature he discovered).

Perhaps Lansing as the only US plant left 1931, until summer, stuck bumper adornments on that only 1931 deluxe winter front rad 614 model ??

I'm Thinkin that Todds medallion with its curved back is strictly for the curved two bar bumpers and not the flat type two bar bumbers...The way these medalions are fastened is that the one piece backing support bar is multifunction, it will separate the bumper bars at the ends with button head bumper bolts, the support bar them is clamped by the brackets on the frame horns then the support is bent forward to meet the double bar bumper in the center and has a hole in the center to clamp the bumper bars to the center support bar with the medallion...I am not sure if there is an additional cleat that is sanwiched between the bumper bars and support.

Where Are You From? Yuma,AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Mike, Like Norm mentioned in an earlier post, the medalions are larger on the type bumper having the two "J" support bars and require two medalions...The style Todd has pictured is smaller and requires one in the middle only...It may be possiable that the larger medalion may work as a single but not sure about the other way around?

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

After looking at Todd's medallion a little closer, the size is smaller than the one we need for our models. The photos in the 1928 photo section that show Larry F's and John B's cars are the correct ones for our D65 and D75 models. Does anyone have oval dimensions for either of these medallions?

Sorry I found the 'wrong one' guys!

This one measures about 3 5/8" tall, 1 3/4" across, and 1 3/4" deep with stud.

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/258858-dodge-crank-hole-cover/?p=1401294

Durant D bumper medallion on eBay presently ... 292371963402

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

I have my bid in on it Normy! One step ahead of ya!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Mike, I am not sure that that D medallion will fit your model 75....It has the same dementions as the one that Todd has pictured above and would probably be too small...See Larrys model 75 in our photos....I have some other trinkets for the Flint that I want to cast this spring and If I can borrow Todds Medallion I will attempt to cast some of those as well (for fastening the mounting studd the plan would be to drill and tapping a blind hole from the backside and install the 7/16" studd)

Hey Mike ... Noted this was not a Dodge trinket but one of ours and I recalled the topic on the medallion, you started.

Last couple of months I can't contact anyone selling US only on eBay.com. eBay.uk eBay.ca Some how eBay has limited some of us in Can to sales that are US and also world wide providing Canada is one of the countries. I can't advise this seller the item is for a Durant, like I have other item's of ours I see, so they do show up on DMAC.
There was a cereal bowl on eBay.ca in Mich that matches the set of dishes Di bought before we married and one of mine has a chip out of it. Seller only sold US. I couldn't ask her the dimensions or anything to get at it. I'm not the only one having problems with eBay and its games. A seller I have talked with for years in US is also constantly going after eBay to fix things. I thought I had lost the dish after it got listed a 2nd time but Gary has secured it for me. I put the bowl in my watch list and on eBay.com it shows sold, on ebay.ca it said out of stock when Gary got it. eBay can't even get that the same in both places. Stupid eBay mentality hurting sellers / buyers. I might have a US post box or a rellie, an item could be sent to so why cut us off for being Can ?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Hi Bill
I'm not sure if it will fit my Model 65 either, but if I win it, it will fit some Durant model so we can have a go by for someone. If you do cast some this summer, count me in for one. I surely will buy one from you. Just adds a finishing touch.:ok_hand:

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Well I won the bumper medallion and I'll let you know if it fits or not. If not, it will be available for casting or for someone to use on an earlier car maybe.

Ok, got it in the mail today, definitely Durant medallion with bolt on back. I'll measure and advise in a couple days and post a picture. This medallion will fit in the center with just a little overhang on the outside and is about the same size as the star medallions that hold the bumper to the bracket. A metal mounting plate would have to be fastened to the back to mount it. It appears it is the same size that Larry has on his but not sure about the other one. I'll give everyone a report when I have some time to do some looking further. If it will work I will bead blast it and we can get someone to cast them maybe for other owners. I'll keep you posted.

Good morning Mike,

Hey, I am interested in a casting made from the original if it is the correct size. My car was missing the medallion when I got it. looking forward to seeing a photo and the size.

Mike, my model 65 has one on it. I will try to get some measurements this afternoon.

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

The correct one is 4.25 inches tall and 2.5 inches wide.

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

Bill I think yours is the right one for Steve and my car, especially since you and I have the same model. Maybe we can find a casting company to make us up some using yours as a model. Something to work on.

I believe that Lance had a bunch of Medallions cast, I think in Argentina, They were cast with the mounting studds in them or as part of them and would snap off when tightened...Those were for everything having the two bar parallel "curved/round" face 1 1/2" bumpers, 40/60/63 ect.(same one that Todd has pictured) so be careful who does your casting and how they will do it...The pattern that I used having the hole (above)was for the 1 1/2" flat bar type (M-2)...Since these flat and round bar bumper Medallions are the same size with the exception of the back, I thought I would cast some Medallions having a solid thickness back and could machine the back for either the Flat bar or the curved bar...Anyway, fun to play around with it....Would interesting to see a detailed front and side view of Bills D-65 Medallion.

Hey Bill D, see if you can't figure out how to post the pictures you sent me to the web site here of the bumper medallion you have.

Wow Bill, those look great!

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

The Durant Motors Automobile Club