Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: top bow source

Finally got around to making top bows...Made the rack from stuff I had laying around, I did get the 4 hold-down clamps from Harbour freight....My stainless strap was a little narrow so laid another piece of 1 1/2"galvanize sheet metal over area where the bow is bent...The bending form can be made from 1 sheet of 4'x8' OSB oriental strand board, (3 ply) rip it in half longwise (2 pieces 2'x8')then mark pattern on each piece and two leftover ends can be the center filler board...This looks to be pretty much like the way it was done in the youtube video (address posted in my post above)...I found it important to pre-soak the 1"x 1 1/2" oak strips for 24 hrs and steam for 80 minutes like mentioned in video...Forgot to take picture of my steam box set-up (top picture upper right) but It is made from 2ea 5' lengths of 4" or 5" galvinized duct pipe pop riveted together than wrapped with one layer of carpet foam rubber underlayment for insulation, ends are 1 1/2" thick wooden plugs (band sawed then smoothed with verticle disk sander), one plug having steam entrance hole the other having small steam vent holes and handle knob for removing...I bought a 1500 watt garmett steamer on craigs list for $15.00 for the steam source...Oh, I went with a 6" radius for bends and allowed 10 degrees in forming gig to over-bend legs as they will spring back...My Oak material wasn't the best but I made enough that I should be able to pick through and have enough for my project...Can Cross this one off my bucket list.

IMG_1568

IMG_1562

IMG_1565

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3 or 4

The Durant Motors Automobile Club