Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More progress on the 619

Dash before and after, it has been completely restored with all gauges rebuilt, calibrated and ready for the road.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

Rick looks real good! Who restored the instruments? Great work!

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Mike,

I sent the gauges to KM lifestyles to store the gauges and rebuild the fuel tank sending unit and then sent them to Instrument Specialties for face restoration. Instrument Specialties does excellent work and because of that there is a waiting list, but worth the wait.

Rick

Gauge Restoration
KM Lifestyle Mfg.
14 Clarendon Rd.
Auburn, MA 01501
(508) 792 - 9500
kmlifestyle@hotmail.com

Gauge face restoration
Instrument Specialties, Inc.
65 Foliage Drive
N. Kingstown, RI 02852
401-267-0055
sales@instrument-specialties.com

Thanks Rick! Good to know, I'll need to be sending mine off.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Now that's interesting, Rick. the 32's 614 battery and box is under drivers side floor board with access removal section. Under the front seat cushion is storage only for tools etc, that's an all metal pan. I found the wire wheel nut removal wrench there. The 1930 614 owners manual also has the battery under drivers feet.

Here's the plates that go around the tranny / emerg brake and the wheel wrench. No screw hole in front plate as there is no wood there. The front of board rests on a metal bracket both sides of the opening. Brackets attached to toe board which stops any sagging.

1932_Durant19

This is the front floor board and its straight cut both sides from tranny to the toe board. You can see the lift out part. Mines still the orig boards front and back.

1932 Durant18

Just came to me the 619 is a dropped frame like the E 618 / E 670 Frontenac's. Checking photos of Charlie's 619 at Lance's being restored, that also has the battery box under the drivers side front seat area.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

The battery in the 619 is located just behind the front floor board. It requires the removal of the front seat cushion, aka under the front seat. Keep in mind that 619 has a different "drop frame" than the 614.

Yes that's what I said at bottom. The drop frame came to mind as well as the 109 wheelbase on 619 / E 618 / E 670. versus the flat frame 112 wb on 407 / 610 / 611 / 612 / 614 and 115 wb on 618.
That's quite the hump in the cross frame to compensate the lowering for old'er / handicap folk to get in and out of the car. :relaxed:

Yes, and the hump in the cross frame requires its own cover plate that seems not shared with the others. BTW, I'm looking for one of those plates.

Rick

The 1931 Durant is making even more progress, it's a lot lighter now that the body has been removed.

Looks like you are moving right along. Is this about what you expected or worse? Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Ross,
Well it's actually worse than I expected and I expected it to be pretty bad, but it's moving along and I can see a new 31 Durant in my future.

Progress marches on for Ethyl.

Rick

Hello Rick,good to see the progress your making,this is where a lot of restorations get stalled,people get everwhelmed looking at the woodwork,if I can make a suggestion.after the frame is cleaned and checked for square have the cowl sandblasted primedand jammed.mount the cowl with the hood and grille shell mounted and aligned,this will give you a platform to work off of knowing the framecowl is square,just my 2 cents,looks great please keep chugging along am waiting to see all the progress, Dave

Where Are You From? Southern calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? Devaux

Rick- I always have enjoyed restoring the frame and running gear as you can see real progress and you don't have the variable of wood to deal with. The frame looks very similar to my 6-14 except where it gets wider at the back of the engine and then the large gussets at the crossmember at the front of the driveshaft. Sandblast and powdercoat or paint? What type of black are you going to use-gloss, semi, or flat? Ross

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930

Ross,
I'm looking to powder coat mainly because the coast is about the same when you add in hiring someone to blast the frame. Not sure about the color yet, but it will be either semi gloss or flat.

Since the 619 used a drop frame and not the same as used by the 614 and 407 there are a few subtle changes to the body and how fits on the frame.

But we keep pushing forward.

Rick

Per aftermarkets ...

407, 610 had their frame
611, 612, 614 had their frame
618 had its frame
619, E 618, E 670 had their dropped frame

The frame has been sand blasted and powder coated :-)

Rick-Nice,nice,nice! I really like the powdercoating of mechanical parts. Once and done, you do have to watch for the added thickness added on some parts, but not so much on the farm implements we're working on! Ross

Fantastic progress on the 619 today. We picked up the refurbished rear section of the body. The old rotted floor has been replaced with new steel that resembles the original floor section perfectly. The first pictures will you an idea of the damage. Now they can start to rebuild the body :-)

Rick Botti

Rick- Looking good! Let's hope we never lose the craftspeople that can do this work. Is it going to be ready for our National meet here in Oregon in 2020? No pressure! Did you find your headlamp rim clip? Ross

The Durant Motors Automobile Club