Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rear main seal

Hi Ray,

Those rear seal blocks take a quite a bit of time (at least for me) to machine and I really don't have the time to get involved in anymore projects right now...Bert I believe had a couple of sets of blocks made last winter for the felt type seals for the 14L, possiably he would want to part with a set? Or could possiably let you know where he had his machined? The Butters in Canada I understand are making them....As far as finding a used set I am sure they would be no better that the ones you have.... Pot metal parts on our cars have generaly overreached their life expectancy.

Jim,

You mentioned something about an oil hole drilled in your filler block? That sound's like the "drain back" hole and should not be plugged, Its purpose is to drain back any splashed oil from the filler or seal block cavity before it can leak from the Filler block/seal block...Bruce Harrigen (retired machinist) machined his own seal blocks for his 14L and took the time to incorporate a drain back system whereas others I am sure are not doing that.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3 or 4

I DID NOT HAVE TO DROP MY TRANNY TO GET MY OIL PAN OFF DONT KNOW FOR SURE ABOUT YOURS. I HAD TO BE VERY CAREFULL PUTTING THE OIL PAN BACK ON SO I DIDNT BUMP THE GASKET AND KNOCK IT CROOKED.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Deuxe rumble seat coupe Model 614

Another small detail. Look for small holes around the ends of the oil pan A fine wire will tie the gasket in place so it wont be so easy to move it. Might save a lot of time.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Deuxe rumble seat coupe Model 614

The Durant Motors Automobile Club