Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Differential Assembly for my 1928 Model 65

Well I've looked at it on my work bench long enough. It's time to tackle the job I think. I've looked at the various submissions from members on installing the new style axle seals and pinion seals and I'm still confused a bit.

From what I find on the tech section axle seals used were

National # 471424 by Steve Blomquest on his 1928 model 75

Chicago Rawhide # 17271 by Rick on his car, a 1929 model 60

National #473237 by Dave on his 1929 Model 60

And for the Pinion seal:

National # 473448, by Steve

National # 440265 by Dave

National # 473446 by Ron Jaremkow for his 1930 Durant 407

Since everyone used a different seal for both the axle seal and pinion seal, I'm not sure which way to go. I would think that the differential between the 1928 and 1929 models would not have changed that much or did they? The same with the pinon seal. Probably a change between the 1928 and the 1930 maybe.

I know in his article Steve had to do some machine work on the seals he choose, did you Rick or Dave have to do any with yours? I can still get these seals from various sources, just don't know which way to go with this. Don't want to order all of them to see which one fits.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Re: Differential Assembly for my 1928 Model 65

Hi Mike,

Chicago Rawhide and National may interchange, the number I was originally given was different and crossed reference with Chicago Rawhide, I think the ID of the seals you listed are the same or close. In the case of my 29 Roadster no machining was required, I removed the pan that held the original felt seal and pressed in the modern seal.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

Thanks Rick I appreciate it. I spoke in length with Steve last night and conferred with him. He's going to send me more detailed pictures from his model 75 restoration to see if his differential is the same as mine. His car was also made in Elizabeth NJ. I guess a big question is are the 28 and 29 differentials and pinions the same?

OK got some dumb questions but I need help. On the topic of the new axle seals, which way are they supposed to fit, concave are towards the differential or solid side? AND are the new seals (rubber Part) supposed to fit tight up against the axle shaft to prevent the leaks. I purchased both Dave S. and Rick B recommended new axle seals and neither one fit exactly and when I put the seal around the axle shaft there is a large gap. Not sure if this is supposed to be that way or not. I would think if it does not fit tight around the axle (the rubber part of the seal) that it would leak. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike, the seal should fit snugly around the axle.

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

The seal fits around the boss inside the brake drum.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Ditto with Dave. Look at the inside rear wheel hub. You can see where the seal rides on the outside of the hub.
Neat tip: To prevent oil from leaking along the axle taper and wheel hub, my '35 Ford uses a gasket under the axle nut to fix this.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several and one in the "oven"!

Mike,

The way I would attack the specific issues of sealing are first, determine which surface diameters, ID and OD that do the sealing. Next accurately measure those diameters with a machinist caliper. Determine the maximum depth available for the seal. Next, Google "Seal Specification Guide" and choose the PDF catalog put out by Timken. Their is plenty of other information on the web to offer help if you don't like this one. The guide will list seal design types, material sealing types, seal nomenclature, seal installation, and an exhaustive list of all the sealing sizes available with part numbers. Probably way more information then you will need for this task. The list selection catagory begins with the smallest shaft diameter, bore diameter, press fit diameter (seal O.D.), and specs for each seal. When you determine which seal will work for your application, use the part number as it is listed, or cross reference the number to your desired brand. Good luck.

Where Are You From? Rising Sun, Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

You'll also need a depth mic to determine how many shims you need between the pinion housing and the differential housing.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Thanks guys for the assistance on this. I'm not a machinist but I'll figure this thing out. I ordered the seals Rick used, the ones Dave used and all of them come close to fitting the area it needs to fit in, but does not seal around the axle shaft as it should. Figures Durant probably used a number of different axle shafts for production doesn't it. Rick's is the closed to the other diameter and depth, but not the rubber part seal which is about almost a 1/4 inch bigger around the axle. I just ordered a set of seals that Steve used and see if they are closer. I'll also find the chart of seals that Steve mentions and try and figure out the measurements. I only have a caliper and not a machinist micrometer to get inside there. I'll keep fiddling with it and see what I can come up with. Dave the pinion unit had three metal shims between the pinion mount and the differential that I've saved so I do have them. Thankks.

If you look at the seals I used I believe they are "double lip seals" to seal from both directions.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

In many cases seals have the "double lip" incorporated in the design for sealing on a rotating/sliding shaft or diameter. Look closely at the cross section of the seal and only one lip seals against fluid leaking out of the cavity (in this case, oil out of the differential). This lip would be the larger or the more prominent lip of the seal and should be pointed toward the fluid to be sealed. Depending on the application, this lip may have a small spring wrapped around the outer diameter of the lip to give tension to the seal lip. The other lip points in the opposite direction and is there to keep any foreign debris (dirt, water, etc.) from entering the area being sealed. If their is only one lip seal then it should be installed pointing toward the fluid. Hope this helps.

Where Are You From? Rising Sun, Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club