Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tillotson carb alternative for the Continental 4

My carb needs help but I have been reading some not that great reviews here on that carb, what is a bolt on replacement, I have an electric fuel pump in line under the car now. 1923 A22 sport sedan

John 303.875.9931 Would love to talk about what you have found

Where Are You From? Denver

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 A22

Re: Tillotson carb alternative for the Continental 4

Hi John,

On my A-22 I am using the larger 267 series Zenith updraft carb...Their are two series of Zenith updraft carburators, the model 68 is the smaller version that is for a 25-170 CID engine and would be too small for your aprox 200 cid 4 cylinder A-22 engine ...The model #267 is for a 100-250 CID engine...If you search the block above "Tillotson carburetor" and Apr 13 2010 posting you can see my installation with particulars and pictures....Now, you might contact Frank, I recall Frank saying that Zenith has a version that would work for the Model A Ford which is also an aprox. 200 CID engine and may make for a much simpler installation...Their is some overview Zenith information at https://archived.zenithfuelsystems.com/updraft_267.htm Also keep in mind the the model 267 has a flange bolt center of I believe 2 3/8" where as the Model 68 has a 2 5/16 (1/16) smaller...Their is more Zenith info in our technical page but I am thinking this flange info was posted incorrectly.

Anyway, Good luck.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3 or 4

I didn't realize it but I see Phil Peters has put together some new information in our Tecnical Page on the Zenith Carbs "Zenith Replacement Carburetor Information", with an overview and a replacement chart, Phil has two carbs listed for our A-22s... P/N 14991 model 267 (like I used a number of years ago) and P/N 13922 Model 68-8 (also designed for the 200 CID Model A)....Our A-22s are somewhat a low RPM engine, I am thinking that smaller series Zenith would be sufficient and would make for and easier installation.

Yes Bill, Phil and I spent a long time getting all the info for most of our cars. Phil then supplied the Zenith rep who provided the replacement carb model numbers. They don't have replacements for the B22 Durant or the C-600 used in Frontenac and Flyer.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Thanks for the responses, so the feeling is the zenith is a better carb?

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 A22 Sport Sedan

Bill Hoaglan
Hi John,

On my A-22 I am using the larger 267 series Zenith updraft carb...Their are two series of Zenith updraft carburators, the model 68 is the smaller version that is for a 25-170 CID engine and would be too small for your aprox 200 cid 4 cylinder A-22 engine ...The model #267 is for a 100-250 CID engine...If you search the block above "Tillotson carburetor" and Apr 13 2010 posting you can see my installation with particulars and pictures....Now, you might contact Frank, I recall Frank saying that Zenith has a version that would work for the Model A Ford which is also an aprox. 200 CID engine and may make for a much simpler installation...Their is some overview Zenith information at https://archived.zenithfuelsystems.com/updraft_267.htm Also keep in mind the the model 267 has a flange bolt center of I believe 2 3/8" where as the Model 68 has a 2 5/16 (1/16) smaller...Their is more Zenith info in our technical page but I am thinking this flange info was posted incorrectly.

Anyway, Good luck.
Sorry, for any confusion...I said that the Model 68 Zenith has a 2 5/16" mounting bolt hole centers when in fact it has a 2 3/8" center which is also the same as the model 267...Incidently, I do have an older aluminum Zenith (without a tag) that looks ideticle to the Model 68 and it has a 2 5/16" hole center but the mounting holes are taped at 1/4" instead of 5/16" like on the model 68.... I am using that carb on my model 40 / W-5 engine, Zenith must have made different mounting variations in that series/style of carburetor.

All,

I saw some where here these were available at Tractor Supply. Another post said they were at the Durant store.

I would love to find a shop in Denver that could help me with install and set up. Might be a little over my skill level..

JOHN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 A22 Sport Sedan

hi john I tried the zenith route it was a waste of money , I bought a carb was able to make it work on car but after the second or third time I had problems getting car to start was using starting fluid but I ended up back with the tillitson if you want carb I paid 300 you can have it for a hundred dollors plus shipping good luck jeff

Where Are You From? orlando,fl

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 star

Wow,

A lot of conflicting info, everyone else is saying get the zenith, works great. Mine starts right up with the tillison but it is a leaky mess. I was also told not to bother rebuilding it

JOHN 303.875.9931

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 A22 Sport Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club