Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Very unusual headlight lens on Ebay

Check out the Durant six headlight lens on Ebay. Don't think I've seen one with the words Durant Six etched in the glass. Made by the Mazda lamp company, a period lens and lamp company though. Just haven't seen one.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Re: Very unusual headlight lens on Ebay

Hi Mike....

My B-22 has them!

Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star, Durant , Devaux

Hello Mike
The lens is a monogram lens and was used on the 1922-23 Durant Six (B-22). The B-22 sold for about three times that of the four cylinder. The B-22 and Princeton meet there extinction when Lexington Autos cut off the supply of Ansted motors.

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3

My b-22 also has these lens. but what I want to know is who bought the pair of Durant 6 lens last time on e-bay. Did someone find another b-22?

Where Are You From? calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? durant,flint,locomobile

Sounds like your saying Lexington Motors cut off the supply deliberately. Don and I were discussing the late Rheal Meilleur's sole surviving 1923 Lexington roadster with its Ansted engine. Wasn't that they cut off Billy .. The Lexington used the Ansted about same time frame as Durant and couldn't supply.

The formation of the United States Automotive Corporation was announced by President Frank B. Ansted at the New York Auto Show on January 12, 1920. It was a $10 million merger with the Lexington, the Ansted Engineering Company, and Connersville Foundry Corporation, all from Connersville, plus the Teetor-Harley Motor Corporation of Hagerstown. 1920 marked the high point of Lexington production with over 6,000 built.
On December 16, 1921, William C. Durant, founder of General Motors and former GM president, ordered 30,000 Ansted engines for his new Durant Six, being built in Muncie, Indiana, by Durant Motors, Inc
Production of Lexington in 1922 plummeted to roughly a third of that of 1920. In 1923, Ansted Engine Company entered receivership, with Durant as a principal shareholder. Lexington also entered receivership in 1923.

The seller of the lense on eBay presently said this ... I have other lens’s listed, I found a bunch of them at a estate sale, all NOS, can DMAC help me out with identifying the others ? And if my asking price is reasonable ? Nick.
(I hit see all items by this seller and only see the one lense )

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Well thanks everyone. I've seen Mikes B-22 and Bob's B-22, haven't seen your Frank (hint hint) yet but I guess I just never noticed them. These then really have to be rare as hens teeth huh?

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Yes about as bad as the Depress Beam 12887 convex lense used on the 33 Fronty C400 / C600.

there are probably more of these lenses than B-22 cars.
I traded Gary K for one many years ago, before I had a car.
Also bought a few on eBay through the years.

Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star, Durant , Devaux

I'm seeing 11 known B22's in the Registry.

Didn't look far enough down on eBay for sellers other Momogram lenses. Don noted see other items didn't work either. I see a Lexington pair of lenses. Maxwell one. two pairs of CMC ?? Sailing ship pair one with a cross.
Per the sellers page from Monogram they will put your initials in the center of the lense. Have a feeling I have seen CMC on hub caps or something.

I knew it bugged me and found CMC Chalmers Motor Car Co .. Suspect all his lenses are in the 1922 - 24 range. The B22 Durant, Maxwell, Lexington, The ship ones ???

Capture

I have sold these before, and also have one more remaining... also have many glolite sizes
used to be you could find them, I havent seen any in years.. seems all the old guys are passing away and families are tossing these HL away... even ebay has been dwindling with the rarest lenses.
~Carol the lens lady :)

Where Are You From? S. VT

Do You own a car built by Durant? many

The Durant Motors Automobile Club