Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting site I've found

I've discovered a website that is offering archieval newspapers from as early as the early 1900s. On this site I found several articles relating to the Flint Motor Company. The Anaconda Standard in Butte, MT stated that the Flint Roadster, driver that day in the contest, was the "most beautiful" of all of the cars present.

In another article it said that a banker had driver his Flint 25,000 miles over Montana'a unpaved roads on the original set of tires and had recently driven 141 miles straight across country because "the road was out of question on account of deep drifts" from a recent snow storm!!!

On this site you can search through all of the newspapers for all years or limit your search to certain areas of the country and year of publication. I will probably be enteringt his site frequently for the next few months. A link to the Flint articles here.

https://newspaperarchive.com/anaconda-standard-feb-07-1926-p-35/

Just do a copy and paste to read it.

Gene House

Where Are You From? Thorn Hill, TN

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, 26 Star 6 and 26 Flint Z18

Re: Interesting site I've found

This is a pay to view site. At one time Google set up a newspapers site and it had pay to view or free to view sites. Something went screwy with it and had people upset world wide doing family history or just searching for info. This is what is left of Google News Archives
https://news.google.com/newspapers All are free to look papers, all pay to view are removed.

Even our own paper the Ottawa Citizen didn't know all their papers back into the 1800's was online in Google and free to view. When it worked correctly there were loads of ads, articles on Billy's empire of vehicles. Put in Flint for instance and Google had free and pay to view site pages of items at all the papers.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Yes, it is a pay site but it is not a payment per single viewing site. "Pay per view" tends to suggest that you pay for each viewing. To clarify matters, this site charges $49.95 every six months of viewing. That is a lot of information available for less than $10 a month and a lot of people will probably do all of their searching in less than 6 months. I will invest $49.95 and spend a lot of time doing the searches I am interested in during a 2 or 3 month period of time. It is still a pretty good deal for me.

Gene

Where Are You From? Thorn Hill, TN

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, 26 Star 6 and 26 Flint Z18

Yes sites can be once, daily, weekly, etc you pay to see, (or free looking). We chose annual with Toronto Star.

Newspapers are a wealth of info giving new info lost in time and correcting twisted facts over time. One US paper corrected the time one of Billy's plants was built and moved it backwards with pic and article on it. Think it was the Reo Museum that gave us a date from their files and we said sorry its earlier than that. They just took the date out of some book as true.

Who knew Durant Motors Leaside plant sold and maintained oil furnaces. That ad I sent to Carol who put it in Partner. Toronto Star 1934 provided two ad's where Frontenac / Rugby's were being sold off. Production stopped Dec 1933 at Dominion on those. It was unknown the C-400 / C-600 Fronty's had the Pullman feature. Steve checked his C-400 and sure enough. Also the C-400 came radio equipped as standard feature in the ads. US Continental's never had radio's nor glove boxes our C-400 / C-600 did. Montreal paper announced in May 1932 two new models the 685 Frontenac and a Durant. Only Durant model it could is the 633. 680 De Vaux / 685 Fronty /633 Durant all shared the same body, fenders etc, we just used the 32A engine, Depress Beam lights, and changed the name.
Fallacy the 1931 619 from Lansing was only made and sold US. I have a Leaside ad from the Ottawa paper late Aug 1931 announcing the new 619 with free wheeling as an option. My take on that is Lansing closed Aug 1931 and unsold 619's got shipped to Leaside to get rid of them. So we didn't make them but we sure sold them. They are not in Leaside aftermarkets.

If Google Newspaper Archives had not gone all screwy, I'm sure the Anaconda Standard would have been one of the many many newspapers Google Newspaper Archives had connections to.

Enjoy the searching in the paper and you might also find items lost or forgotten which help shed more light on Billy's empire and offshoots.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club