Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Valuing partially completed project

I fear the time has come that I must consider selling my car. I have done a nut and bolt restoration on the cassis and now the time has come for the wood and body work and I have stalled on the project. It has been 3 years since I have touched it and now often wish for it to be out off my way in the shop. It needs to go to someone who can give it the attention it deserves.

How does one put a value on a partial completed car? It is a running driving cassis sitting on jack stands in my shop that has had every component rebuilt. The rest of the car is 95% compete with a few trim pieces needed All the wood will need replace (I have all the new wood sitting there), the body is in reasonable condition with no major rust and only a few small dents but will still need lots of attention I assume, I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to body work.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Where Are You From? Sask, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star R Coupe

Re: Valuing partially completed project

Hi Brian, I'm sure you put in a lot of your time and money into the project so far. However, you have only done about 20% of the work. The body, wood, metal, paint and upholstery will comprise the other 85%!
With this in mind one can never expect to recover what it cost to build this car or most any other. You'll be very lucky to get 15-25% of your investment back. Especially when the project is incomplete.
On another note, you mention you have all the replacement wood "ready to install". Where did you obtain this wood?
Do you have any pics of this project so far and how much are you asking?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

Re: Valuing partially completed project

Hey all, just an update. Sold my project today to a gentleman who is collecting and finishing cars for his children and grandchildren. As described above, it went for $3700.00 Canadian. I feel fortunate as, that was close to my break even point on the project, not including my time. Thanks to all who have contribute via this website over the last 10 years of me having this car.

Don, I had all the rough cut lumber purchased.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club