Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Need old body wood

here are pictures of the 619, as you can see it has history.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

Rick,

Looking at the Pics, I'm wondering if their is enough left of your front header and or whatever original wood that you may have left, if it could be locked together with "Quick polly" ( http://kwikpolyllc.com/)? Quick Polly is a two part resin that will soak into wood (especially rotten wood) then sets up...Possiably those pieces could be saved for pattern?

I see that a fingerjoint was used, I have a cutter with that same profile that I made for making steering wheels, and have used it for body wood as well...(cutter must be used in a mill with pieces clamped securly!)

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 Durants / 2 Flints

I have some old wood from the roof of a 32 Durant sedan. Its in the rafters of my garage and hard to get at but for you Rick it can happen. If you still need it Ill look for some free labour to get it down.
Not sure how much or condition.

Where Are You From? Whitby, ON

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hey Bill,

I bought an old header from someone that had replaced the wood in their Durant many years ago as a template, but I'm not sure if it's a perfect fit or not until we take a closer look.

Rick

Yes Jack I'm interested.

Your header looks like mine,just a row of bolts and someone looped the chicken wire round them to stop the canvas sagging. You have more wood left than I do.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Rick,

It appears to me that their is a finger joint in the center of your front header and appears that everything to the left of center (Drivers side) is complete and in tact...You should be able to mirror everything to the right of center off of the left side even if your right side was totally missing...Don't have that weeny roast quite yet....Kwik Poly is good stuff, you may be able to save a header pattern in case that you don't come up with something better

Interesting .. I just checked what's left of my header and its a one piece board with no finger joint.
Note header is cut out the back half to sit on the metal cross piece, plus sloped upwards for roof slope as well as curved to match roof bows, with sharp curve on both ends to match tin work. Looks like an awkward piece to carve out with little or no pattern.

Even the side rails have no joints.
IMG_3

The header on my little model 40 coupe (one piece) had a profile that I couldn't mimic with the tools that I had in AZ a couple years back...I found that I was able to pull it off by milling the header in two pieces longintudinaly at an angle break, then glue laminating them together...Worked good and probably just as strong.....Norm, I wouldn't be suprized if Durants supplier was just using up short pieces of wood stock to make up the header is the reason for that finger joint?

Durant_Coupe_and_Flowers_001

Probably Bill. With the number of bolts across the header you could finger joint every few inches. You would think they were riveting plates on the Titanic with so many bolts in a row up there. You can see the bolts in Rick's pic.
When we trailered the 32 home I watched a cloud of header bits blowing out down the hwy. You can't touch what's left of mine its beyond wood.

Rare picture taken at a auto show of a 614/407/619 body.

Rick

Jack Conner came to my rescue with this roof wood from a 32 Durant.

Thanks Jack!

Rick

The Durant Motors Automobile Club