Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chrome or nickel, what say ye!

Original model 65 sales literature I have says this model has the "new chromium metal process on the outside on parts" doesn't say what parts though. Inside is not problem looks like all the parts were nickel. Can't seem to tell on my radiator shell and headlight buckets, cowl lamps etc. What say ye all about the radiator shroud. Mine has surface rust and paint and I'm having a hard time telling what it really was. Emblem restorer says the emblem was nickel plated. What do you think radiator shroud chrome or nickel? I'm fixing to send mine off to have it restored and replated. I will be entering it in the AACA judging so either would be correct since I can argue that the brochure says that parts are chrome. Help me make up my mind.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Re: Chrome or nickel, what say ye!

Chrome was adopted because it was more durable than nickle.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

Hi Mike. To my understanding chrome did not generally come out until 1929 . A few high priced cars had chrome in 1928. I would think that the judges might take away points if your 1928 had chrome. food for thought. Bert

Where Are You From? American canyon cal.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars

Mike- I've heard that using chrome instead of nickel will not be deducted for, due to the durability of having parts chromed.They were taking into consideration that today's air is harder on nickel parts?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm a Master Judge with the AACA and have their judging rules. In their rules they list 1927 as the first year for cars showing up with chrome. So for my 28 it would be OK if challenged I'd have to show some proof though. I have several original sales brochures for my Model 65 and it clearly states "many pieces have the new chrome process on the outside" on some of them. But it doesn't tell exactly what parts. So if challenged I'd have to show the sales brochures and the list that Bill showed in another post shows my Glo-lite headlights in either nickel or chrome for purchase. I'm not sure what book Bill copied it from but it clearly lists the headlights. Also my tie or hold downs for my engine hood show no signs of paint but either nickel or chrome, but there isn't enough good stuff left to get an opinion on if it's nickel or chrome. You can usually tell when you look at it if you got a good piece. Thanks everyone for the opinions and information it will definitely help me make up my mind.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Ross several years ago one of our members lost enough points to push him out of his Senior Award with the AACA because he had all his outside pieces chromed instead of nickel on his 23 Flint. We, as judges do check this, it's on the list.

Mike

Mike,

Good morning to you.
Typically after nickel surfaces age the surface begins to show a tarnished gray oxide layer. Polishing takes this layer off and will revel the true surface. You could try vinegar and a rag with some elbow grease. All of my D75 exterior parts are nickel plated and do show this oxide surface. I have cleaned some areas of these parts to see the true metal color.

Another thought is to take the exterior parts to a reputable plating shop and have them analyze them to determine the top metal surface.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Steve;
I do have that option, just send it to them and let them tell me what it was done in originally. Just wanted to get opinions on what it should have been. I took off my "D" emblem and sent it to the restorer. She told me it was plated in nickel. On the shroud under where the medallion sat, looks dull like nickel to me too. I have a plater about an hour from me, but I wasn't going to use them as there quote was very high based on the pictures I sent. Librandi's outside of Harrisburg gave me the best so far.

Welp, You do understand that their is a down side to nickel....Bob Krause had the radiator shell Nickel plated on my H-40 Flint during the time he had the car, I think it cost Bob 11 or 12 hundred bucks..That radiator shell already needs to be re-plated as it has spots from barn swallow crap and it didn't take long....I don't have my cars covered all the time while in the garage and the doors are often open...Haven't noticed any effect on my cars with Chrome.....Mike, you mentioned mixing Nickel and Chrome on the same car, have you ever sat a newly chrome plated part next to a newly nickel plated part? People will ask what went wrong....I once talked with Bob Porter who was into AACA judging at the time about Chrome Vs Nickel and Bob said that you could use "White Chrome" in place of nickel and it would be acceptable(Never heard of White Chrome)...I asked why and he said it was because White Chrome "looks" like nickel...I also asked Bob about the use of Vinyl as Vinyl wasn't on the market until in the 50ies, he said it was OK because Vinyl "looks" like rubber.....Anyway, my two cents.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Locomobiles had chrome in 1927. My 8-80 had a mix of chrome outside and nickel inside. Hope this helps. Also, Locomobiles came in sterling silver in 1927.

Where Are You From? Calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durant-flint-locomobile

Aftermarkets indicate the 65 headlights, cowl lights, and taillight door were nickel plated. Rad shell is silent on that but by itself, which seems to indicate it also was nickeled.
The 70 taillight could be either nickel or chrome. The cowl light 4 1/2 inch (used on the 65 in nickel) could be nickel / or chrome on the 75. 75 headlights chrome.
Seems the 65 is by itself with nickel and the other two models a mixture. All the rest 28 / 29 are chrome.
Doesn't say what the 65 door handles had only one type to serial 1049 and another 1050 up. So first 49 cars. The 55 was nickel which came out same time as the 65. M2 are nickel, as is the 40 that came out 1929. 60 however which came out Oct 1928 is chrome.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Thanks Norm & Mike for your input, probably going to go Nickel to be safe, although the sales brochures I have from the U.S. and Germany say the model 65 uses "the new chromian process" on the outside parts, but does not say which ones.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club