Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Car and parts to be had cheap

There we go Star only.

When Billy Durant introduced his Model-T fighting Star automobile, Mifflinburg was chosen as the firm’s exclusive supplier of suburban and delivery van bodies. The 1923 Star Station Wagon is generally accepted as the first catalog station wagon offered by a major manufacturer. Chassis from Durant’s Elizabeth, New Jersey, factory were shipped by rail to Mifflinburg where the completed bodies were mounted. Depending on their final destination, the completed vehicles were either driven away by Star dealers or shipped back to the New Jersey plant.

Mifflinburg’s station wagons were dropped from the Star catalogs in 1925, however Star dealers knew where to get them. The business with Star must have been profitable as Mifflinburg issued a 1926-1927 catalog advertising their “Custom-Built Commercial Bodies for Star Four Commercial and Star Six Compound Fleetruck Chassis”.

Which one of the events has the green truck ? I see a green Star truck in 2012 National Meet part 2 with Star Transfer Line on its side.

We need to know what is under the hood as a starter over head or flat head of Ken's. If both yours / Kens are overhead, then Dallas, we have more questions to solve.
Durant line was not a big pusher, Billy concentrated on Star to rise above the others like Henry. To think Billy was that close to getting Ford 1908 and might not have Ford's today.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

cars and parts to be had cheap

Bill -we did have a green pickup at the 2008 Meet in Astoria-I don't remember what the fellows name was. You may be loosing it but aren't we all! Phil

Where Are You From? portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 60

OK, their are pictures in two annual events 2005 (Santa Rosa) and 2008 (Astoria) the service truck is Green and has Cream Disc wheels (5 lug) everything A-22....I got mixed up with Dick Krauses two Stars cars...His '27 Station Wagon has the Mifflinburg body and his '25 Service Truck must have been built by Star? What model?

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Ah I see it in 2005 pic's. Interesting ...

p5210028
p5210052

1923 A-22 Service Truck C-1275 Harold Russell of Phoenix Oregon. Humm opens more doors of questions on this one. Seems more questions than answers with our vehicles. Special order ?? Durant restored with Star Mifflinburg body ?

Bob Krause's service truck is a 1925 CC C-278729 with W5 engine.

The Green Service truck that was at both Astoria and Santa Rosa was owned by Tom & Ruth Schwab.
The truck first appeared the original club newsletter "DMAC News" in 1999 as a pile of parts, but by 2005 Tom had fully restored it.

The pictures at this link were taken in Astoria, Oregon 2008.

http://www.dmacweb.com/makes/durant/1923 green service truck/index.html

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

My error on the owner. On a list of unknowns 1923 under A-22 is a service truck owned by Tom and Ruth Schwab of no address, no colour, vin, etc so it can be placed in the Registry in its proper place.
That makes two of these then.

The green star truck is a 1923 model C.

Where Are You From? Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

Ken McCormick( better known as -Yukon jack)
I had a call from a guy in Vernon B C --not to far from here .
He has a 23 or 24 durant truck he wants to get rid of. Apparently he has a lot of parts as well but he doesnt want them He is easy to talk to and says he would not be able to do the job of rebuilding -Also I guess there is not all the parts to build it. Seems like maybe a lot of engine blocks but no heads, lots of wood spoke wheels Two different sizes front and back. How bout that Don shilling. Want a Truck to go with all the cars you have? Just call me and I will put you in
the picture. Guy ,s phone number is 250-549-2355 Sounds like a good project for someone to take on. If I was younger I would think of it myself.(My wife would likely shoot me if I was to pick it up. Apparently there is a honeycomb rad with it that looks pretty good . I havent seen it so dont know for sure. His name is Matt Corrigan
someone should call him and find out more about this vehicle before it ends up in the scrap heap.
Ken

Matt Corrigan returned my call this afternoon...It pretty much sounds like the Truck is a Star, there is a good honeycomb radiator with surround that has a Star Four badge on it....The box is all wood with metal brackets and hardware, box comes straight down on sides then tapers in at midway...The Rear wood spoke wheels and the springs are larger on rear (wood wheels are good)...Not much of cab left if anything, pretty tough shape, transmission is there.... Brass tags on engine blocks says Continental but he didn't take note if a W-4 Or W-5 prefix...Matt thought the truck would be like a ton or a ton and a half size and would not be a service truck...Matt will get me a little more info and said he would get his Grandson to email some pictures probably in May.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Getting interesting. Star 4 would make it a W5 perhaps a model F that had a commercial chassis. Its newer than the 23 / 24 date with the Star 4 crest. The L Fleet truck was one ton 6 cyl from Aug 1 1926 to Mar 31 1928 when it became the L Rugby April 1 1928, but this has the 4 cyl.
Wonder if the vin plate is still with it for model and vin. Engine plate will give W5 and serial.
Have to wait to see what the pictures and Matt tells us.

Thanks for the update Bill. Wasn't sure if anyone was interested or not. If I was 20 yrs younger I might go and haul it home . To ****ed old now for taking on a new job. May not even get my car finished. I'm still trying tho.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe -Model 6 14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club