Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
top bow source

I need to replace the top bows for my 1935 Star Touring. Does anyone know a source for these? If I make a set, does anyone else want some?

Vince

Where Are You From? Greenbra, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: top bow source

Mel's Leather and horsehair is one source....Mel has the Mennoits make them and both Don and I should be seeing Mel at Chickasha in March providing he is there (Don was trying to get a hold of him)...He usually has a booth in the south barn...I believe he would want the outside dimention of the bows plus the radius of the bend, the tails you would fit and trim yourself...
MEL'S Leather and Horsehair:
Mel Draper
P.O. Box179
Jeromesville OH 44840
Ph 419-368-3226

Another possiable source would be Leonard Burkholder and Leonard is in our membership rouster but not sure that he would want to mess with it...Leonard lives near the Mennoits or Quakers and was nice enough to help me out on getting my last set made....

I will be needing a set of bows made for my B-40 Flint but didn't bring the measurements down with me.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Yep. I talked to Mel a couple of weeks ago. He's not coming to Chickasha this year but I will go by his shop when I take my touring body up to Robin Baker in April. I think Joel Holley will also be needing a set. Note that the C and F models use the same top .

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

Has anyone tried steam bending their own top bows?...Their is an interesting backyard youtube of a fellow bending his own top bows for his '26 chevy that I thought looked simple and cleaver....I glue laminated the top bows for my A-22 (what a mess) but haven't tried any steam bending...This video has got me all fired up so thought I would give it a try....Got the red oak strips milled and will have the local fab shop shear the 1 1/2" bending strap at the same time that I have them shear and break the running board molding from some polished stainless that I have...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQemTYkwL6w

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

I've been watching a few Utube bending videos myself. Other than building a suitable forming jig, the only difficult part would be selecting the suitable grain pattern in the wood. I think I would use White Ash myself.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

When I was doing the complete rewooding of my D75 sedan, I steam-formed the newly fabricated ash roof cross bow lengths. I used a tea kettle on the kitchen stove with a rubber hose connected to a section of 4" diameter PVC pipe with an internal rack and a steam exit hole. With a meat thermometer inserted in the tube, I was then able to monitor the internal temperature for the duration of the run. Rule of thumb is to steam the wood for one hour for every inch of wood thickness. I fashioned a curved form from a length of 2x6 with c-clamps such that the curve over-formed the wood to allow for spring back. A quick transfer of the steamed wood to the form was critical. The over-form method was by trial and error to get the desired bow radiuses needed. Good luck, patience, and determination and you will get them made.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Finally got around to making top bows...Made the rack from stuff I had laying around, I did get the 4 hold-down clamps from Harbour freight....My stainless strap was a little narrow so laid another piece of 1 1/2"galvanize sheet metal over area where the bow is bent...The bending form can be made from 1 sheet of 4'x8' OSB oriental strand board, (3 ply) rip it in half longwise (2 pieces 2'x8')then mark pattern on each piece and two leftover ends can be the center filler board...This looks to be pretty much like the way it was done in the youtube video (address posted in my post above)...I found it important to pre-soak the 1"x 1 1/2" oak strips for 24 hrs and steam for 80 minutes like mentioned in video...Forgot to take picture of my steam box set-up (top picture upper right) but It is made from 2ea 5' lengths of 4" or 5" galvinized duct pipe pop riveted together than wrapped with one layer of carpet foam rubber underlayment for insulation, ends are 1 1/2" thick wooden plugs (band sawed then smoothed with verticle disk sander), one plug having steam entrance hole the other having small steam vent holes and handle knob for removing...I bought a 1500 watt garmett steamer on craigs list for $15.00 for the steam source...Oh, I went with a 6" radius for bends and allowed 10 degrees in forming gig to over-bend legs as they will spring back...My Oak material wasn't the best but I made enough that I should be able to pick through and have enough for my project...Can Cross this one off my bucket list.

IMG_1568

IMG_1562

IMG_1565

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3 or 4

The Durant Motors Automobile Club