Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine numbers

Can any one help, I have purchased a Rugby / Star / Durant and it has an engine serial number on it which I don't know. Engine number is R1559067 . It is an over head valve engine, it has 2 individual rocker covers each covering 2 pistons worth of rockers and it has lifters from the cam positioned in the block with EXTERNAL push rods.

Chasing manual, chasing parts, chasing info

Thanks

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 12

Re: Engine numbers

Brian, we gotta have pictures! Gotta, gotta, gotta!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Had problems loading digital images so sent them direct via email - hope that was ok

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 12

Hi Brian, I live in Armidale NSW, where do you reside? I have a 1924 Durant Rugby Tourer and would like to start a durant Chapter in Australia.My Wife and Myself have just come back from Modesto CA aftwer attending a West Coast Durant Meet.We had a terrific time meeting Durant owners over there.They are a very well orginizes large group and really great people to meet,we had a ball.They also have a excellent technical group that can help at any time.Give me a call and I woild love to meet you.I have about a dozen Durant owners who are showing some interest. It may take a couple of years or even less to get the ball rolling. Regards Robert and Margaret Heath. rnheath14@gmail.com

Where Are You From? Armidale 2350 Australia.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes. Durant Rugby 1924 model.

Rick has given us a site for adding photos that seems to work. See Forum "testing image hosting"
https://imgbb.com Be interested to know more about this car for the Registry and see photos of it. Model C, F, M, M2 ???

Sounds like someone switched engines out of some other vehicle. 490 Chevy had the exposed push rods and rockers with an oil can on the firewall to oil them. Don't think they had two piece covers once they started covering the rockers. There were other makes that had open push rods.

Engine serials in Star / Durant don't go over 6 digits 1921 - 1932 looking at engine serials in the Registry, and none had alpha start other than the B22 Durant with two alpha.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Here's a pic of Brian's engine. Maybe Buick?
image1

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

Don you may have nailed it. Also looks like a mid 20’s Cheverolete perhaps? Have a pic of one very similar but working off my iPhone while on the road today and not going to attempt to post an image here yet. Google may offer some pictures to compare it to.

Where Are You From? Brighton MI

https://www.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/HF11/Hershey/lots/r228-1925-chevrolet-series-k-superior-touring/190166

Where Are You From? Brighton MI

Hit the Chevy site and the OZ cars have the R 7 digit engine numbers. This is probably after 1924 The R1559067 and casting 344824 fit the listing below

http://home.earthlink.net/~scrippsbooth/chev490cast.html

ENGINE SERIAL & CASTING NO. FOR 1916-24 490/SUPERIOR MODELS -

R1220135 J-11-23 ? RHD, AUST, flywheel only
R1246717 327773 J-23-3 Ferro3 RHD, AUST
R1288589 335291 L-17-3 ? RHD, AUST, flywheel only
R1353336 327772 L-13-23 GWC 5 RHD, AUST, head only # stamped
R1353347 327772 A-15-24 GWC 5 RHD, AU, head only #1035
R1420256 377773 C-25-4 Ferro4 C-12-4 ? RHD, AUST
R1528991 327773 L-17-3 SPC 5 327772 B-29-4 H 5 P1 RHD, AUST, #1528991 exh port
R1537322 335291 J-9-4 GL 6 RHD, AUST, flywheel only

So you have a Rugby Superior ha ha. Not the first time our cars are mishmash of other vehicles. There was one earlier this year with a 1948 engine in it (Kaiser engine ??) Few years back a lad was trying to identify his Star with the F rad shell and crest. Only thing Durant on the car was the shell / crest. Body off a brass era car, brass lights 1900's, Ford T steering column / front wheels / cut front axe, engine from some German farm machine of the teens. We never did determine what the rear wheels and odd hub caps were from.

Definitely a '25 Chevy! Now let's see what the rest of the car looks like!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

There is no oil can on firewall. Has like 3/4 inch felt which is dipped in oil and then sits on top of the rockers

Where Are You From? Queensland Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The early Chevy's with open pushrods and rockers have an oil can on the firewall as do other makes with open rockers. Here's a UK 490 with the oil can. Lad here with restored 490 1916 touring also has the oil can. It was just a comment when trying to determine what engine was in your Star based on an engine serial number only, that was not a Continental Motor. Didn't make sense a Star with open push rods that only used 4W or 5W flat head engines nor a A22 Durant with the overhead covered rods / rockers.

Has us wondering if you bought a Star (Rugby) with the Chevy engine or a Chevy with a Rugby rad crest. As Don said lets see the rest of the car looks like.

1916_Chev

Hi Brian. Where in Qld are you?
Sid

Where Are You From? Biloela Qld Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? D65 & 614

I am currently 1200 km from home working. I will send a nice picture of it in the bush. I was supposed to have bought 6 Rugby's . Now it's 5 Rugby's and a chev. I have enough parts to build approximately 10 full cars and still collecting. I'm still young and collecting with a goal to restore them all one day. I drag them out of farm paddocks etc. when I find them.

Will send photos as soon as I can. And a thanks for the guidance on identifying the ring-in

Where Are You From? Qld Australia

Sid Semple
Hi Brian. Where in Qld are you?
Sid
Little town called Glenwood between Gympie and Maryborough

Where Are You From? QLD Australia

This aounds great Brian. We hope to be travellin your way next winter I will try to look you up.

Where Are You From? Armidale 2350 Australia.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes. Durant Rugby 1924 model.

Know where it is, been to the swap there

Where Are You From? Qld Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 2

The Durant Motors Automobile Club