Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Curtis Bartells Parts Cache

Hey, Whats up with Curts Parts Cache. Just talked to Curt and he says it's still available and reduced to $500.00. Hey Gene where are You ?? Curt say's if no action soon it go's in the trash as he can't afford to pay storage rent on it any longer. I could take half of it if any one else can do the same. I simply just don't have the room .,. Help !! Dave Coppess

Where Are You From? Custer, S.Dakota

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, 1927 Star

Re: Curtis Bartells Parts Cache

David Coppess
Hey, Whats up with Curts Parts Cache. Just talked to Curt and he says it\'s still available and reduced to \$500.00. Hey Gene where are You ?? Curt say\'s if no action soon it go\'s in the trash as he can\'t afford to pay storage rent on it any longer. I could take half of it if any one else can do the same. I simply just don\'t have the room .,. Help !! Dave Coppess
Well folks thanks to Tom Schaffer of Grand Junction, Colorado Curts parts cache has been saved from the trash. I'll be there for the loading and of course I'll find some goodies. Dave

Where Are You From? Custer, S.Dakota

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, 1927 Star

Good show, David! And being close to Christmas, it's like scoring a twofer!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Ok, so now for the rest of the story...

As I was talking to Curtis about the parts, he mentioned that the parts originally belonged to Fred Farmer who lived in Pueblo Colorado (where the parts are actually at). That rang a bell and I remembred that the 26 Star I have was his. To the best of my knowledge Fred sold the Star to someone in New Mexico and that it was then bought by Jim Taylor here in Grand Junction. I bought the car a couple of years ago from his widow. When Curtis's parts first came up I struggled to justify getting them, but when it looked like they might end up in the scrap heap, I knew I had to talk to him. Apparently the Star and the parts in Pueblo belong together so I will be going to get them soon and reuniting them.

Where Are You From? Grand Junction Colorado

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe, 1929 Durant 663 and 1929 Durant 666

I'm really happy that someone came forth to buy these parts. I've finally made a deal on a good enclosed trailer (8.5X20) and expect to pick it up soon. It looks as if I waited too long but my situation was critical for a while. If the Buyer decides to sell any of the parts I'd be interested in the leaf springs. My 26 Star 6 has leaf springs that are setting flat! They have no curvature in them at all and the car sways badly when driving it. As was said earlier, it looks as it you are getting a "twofer" plus the parts are finally united with the original Star.
Merry Christmas to all, Gene

Where Are You From? NE Tennessee

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a couple of them!

Gene Slightly off topic--can you get your springs re-arched by a spring shop? Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Ross
Gene Slightly off topic--can you get your springs re-arched by a spring shop? Ross
Ross,
I've contacted a couple of shops and they seem to think they can re-arch my springs but shipping and the expense of re-arching them appears to be rather high to me (can't remember the cost now but could look it up). It has also been noted in a couple of discussion forums that springs that are re-worked tend to fail in a short period of time. I guess that bending back seems to affect them. In fact, one forum gave instructions of re-bendingthem in a DIY manner but I am a little leary of doing so. If anyone here has any suggestions (I've asked previously with no replies) I'd be happy to hear them. As the car is now I do not feel safe in driving it.
Gene

Where Are You From? NE Tennessee

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, a couple of them!

Many Thanks to Tom and Lisa Schaffer, Dave Coppess, and Randy for an enjoyable afternoon loading my Star parts in Pueblo Saturday the 9th. I really enjoyed getting to know all of you, and it left me with a good feeling knowing that all my parts have found, or will find a good home on future restorations. I hope you guys will stay in touch and let me know about your progress on your projects. I may get to work on finishing my Star after it has been set aside for 20 plus years of storage do to career requirements of relocating. I have a substantial amount of re-restoring to catch up on before I can finish with the rest of my restoration, but am looking forward to it.
I'm sure I can fit it in with my current restoration as soon as I can move the Star to Denver after the holidays.

Thanks again guys,

Curt

Where Are You From? Denver CO.

Do You own a car built by Durant? !926 model M Star 4dr sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club