Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1931 Devaux Owner's Manual on Ebay

Hello Gary, I recently purchased a 1931 DeVaux which has been restored in the late 1980’s from what I can find out. Do you still have a copy of the owners manual available? The previous owners are decendants of Norman DeVaux, they gave me all kinds of information on the DeVaux family and the car. Unfortunately they had no owners manual with the info. Just trying to find out if the DeVaux is a positive or negative ground on the electrical system? The car hasn’t run for several years, don’t want to mess anything up on it. As you know, parts are hard to come by. Thank You! Bill Krall

Where Are You From? Latrobe, Pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 DeVaux

Nice try Lance ... still bundled up trying to keep warm when its 70 + outside ???

No I assure you it wasn't me. Only one I am interested in, is a 32 614 Dominion Motors anything. Closest I have is 1930 614 sales brocheur booklet from Leaside (and none of the cars from standard to deluxe have white walls ... grin), and a 1930 owners manual I got from Maine. Doesn't seem to be anything for our Dominion cars or very little.

I agree some people go nuts with this ebay thing. See the starting price of two sales for depress beam lenses 11471 in Thunder Bay ? $300 each 280401912902 & 280401926038. Used on Dominion 614 / 618 and Frontenac's 31 / 32 plus many other makes. Very common, can be had at flea markets for $20 or ebay under for $50.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

There you go Lance ... something to make up for missing the Loco rad cap. Double rad cap with wings and dog bone (obviously wings added later) Boy they have $$ in their eyes for a well worn standard Boyce meter you just change the plate with car name. 390096673981 US $1,999.99 DURANT BOYCE MOTO-METER WINGED HOOD ORNAMENT MASCOT.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan

Bill: I think I know the history of your car. Yes, please contact me at garyyelle@msn.com. I can copy you a lot of date on the DeVaux and the life of Norman DeVaux.
My DeVaux Registry has 2 DeVaux's (one from VA and one from PA) that the owners were relatives of Norman DeVaux. If you got the one from PA, it was restored by one of the founders of the DeVaux Registry.
We have a lot to talk about! Thanks, Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Bill...

The Devaux should be a negative ground, same as Durant.
Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star, Durant , Devaux

Thanks Frank ... De Vaux uses same Auto-Lite starter MAB-4037 as the Frontenac E-618 & E-670 and later Durant's 31 / 32. Plus the De Vaux AEA cards 1931 and 32 say... Ground - Negative terminal grounded.
Hall engine is basically a 22A. 40A used 1931 675, 1932 680 with Hall name ground off it and 1933 Ace block, ground off Hall, is also a 40A on the casting but called a 41A on engine plate. All three models have 1931 casting dates indicating using up left over motors of the 675.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Hi Norm:
Thanks for all the great information on DeVaux specs. On your 2nd paragraph, I do have to disagree. The 40A does look the same except the port design. As you remember, the only difference in the gaskets used is the manifold one. A couple weeks ago I had a conversation with a club member that tore down his 40A engine and saw the different internal port design.
There was another thing I wanted to share with you. Look at my post to Bill. I have been carrying a duplicate entry on the Registry since I took it over. The Barry Palmer car is the same one that David DeVaux bought. Now it goes to Bill. Palmer made his own entry that takes the car back to a used car lot in Traverse City in 1956.
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Gary .. I should have said the 40A was based on the 22A and from a previous forum item someone said the 22A head would work on the 40A.
Sure wish there was interchange books to cover all our cars US / Can so we can say part A fits Fronty / DeVaux / Durant / Rugby / Conny models xxx, but there isn't. Asked one seller on eBay about a Hollander book covering our time frame, if De Vaux was mentioned as it had the rest of our US vehicles and no DeVaux was not in it. Guess Hollander never heard of a De Vaux either and it was US.

I have my entry on M-2317 as Barry Palmer but we must have talked as I had that changed to David DeVaux. Going to need white out to show Bill Krall in PA as its present owner.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club