Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Removing slushing sealer from fuel tank

Hi Gord,

Is that stuff that is plugging your filter and carb black in color? Their may be a slim chance that old gas varnish has coated the sealer and the ethenal is cutting that loose rather than the sealer(probably wishful thinking however). I have had better luck cleaning a tank with lacquer thinner than anything else, and whatever means of aggitation, either by rocking the tank or another thought, install a bubbler hose to perculate the thinner...May be worth trying?

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Gordo- I'm sure this has occurred to you, but having the tank boiled out at a rad shop. But then your tank might leak with nothing in it? Maybe the rad shop could then suggest a more modern sealer. Let us know, because I might be having a similar problem. Roscoe

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

This happened to my Star. Black sticky stuff everywhere. It totally clogged the electric fuel pump that was on it at the time. I cleaned everything from the carburetor to the tank but not the tank itself. It's run fine since. Looking at the gaskets, I concluded that the ethanol had dissolved them sending a tar-like substance into the system. I don't think it was varnish as it happened only once and was cured by cleaning. The new electric pumps use ethanol-resistant gaskets.

Ethanol did dissolve the slushing compound I used in the 70's on the gas tank in my 1950 Mercury. It had to be removed as there was a lot of it. I think it's a form of resin. If so, acetone would work. I'd try it or MEK. Both are highly flammable and toxic so be careful.

Many finger nail polish removers are mainly acetone so try it before investing in a can of ethanol.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Hi guys:
Thanks so much for your advice. Yes the goop that appears in the filter is black. I haven't removed the tank as yet. As per usual it is about 1/2 full so I will have to gather several containers to drain it. I really don't want to cut it open, so I will try several of your remedies to clear the problem. As the season is closing down, I am not in a great rush to do anything. I am just glad that this didn't occur earlier on in the season. I have put about 1800 successful miles on the car this year. One week I was on a "Antique & Clasic Car Tour" and put on 1050 miles - no problem Two weeks later put on about 400 miles and coming home I had the problem arise.
Cleaned everything, replaced the in-line filter, drove about 100 miles and the problem resurfaced. You can see the black stuff in the bottom of the filter.
I will keep you posted.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Ltd.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club