Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I need a FIX!

Don. Pick your favorite Durant car and pack it up for a cross country drive from Texas to CA. If you leave this week you should be able to reach us all in CA just in time for the gathering. That should solve the anticipation your experiencing.

When my Uncle was Vice President of General Motors with Durant he often traveled from Flint to California to the Cheverolete office. (Incidentally his son would become general sales manager of Cheverolete and take office there too). He travelled by train however he decided to do a cross country drive to CA near the end of the cold months of 1918. In a Locomobile for reasons unknown to me. It was understood he made this crazy decision as an escape from the troubles of Billy and GM. My uncle was an extremely accomplished man and his part in GM with Billy was not his biggest venue by far but as a very close friend to Billy and his mentor through several fraternities, he took on the challenge. He was overwhelmed with the business troubles and Billy who was butting heads with everyone. It was taking its toll on him and his health.
My uncle did not complete the trip by automobile but rather only got part way there before becoming very ill. He took a train the remainder of the journey and took to his work at the Cheverolete office. Shortly there after he passed away in that office while continuing to work during his illness. His body returned by train to Flint where he was laid to rest with all the big names we know in the automotive industry present. The president and family attended the funeral as well.

Where Are You From? Brighton MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proudly

The Durant Motors Automobile Club