Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yet another Fuel Pump thread. I am thinking of switching over to one for a bit.

Hi Everyone.

It's been a while since I posted. I haven't had time to work on the car, but I have finally a free week coming up here and I want to see if I can solve my stalling fuel problem as well as my timing issue.

Before my question a quick summery of what was happening

So the car was running, but stalling after about 10 minutes of heating. Then it would often have gas pouring out of the carb at this point. It didn't seem like it was overheating, and if I rested it for 15 minutes I could run it again.

most of the distributor system was replaced to see if that had anything to do with it, and it still had the same issue. The... sorry for the lack of proper terms, The shaft that the distributor sits on (with the gear) appeared to be flipped 180 degrees from diagrams I had. The hook on the inside that the spark advance should be attached to (if I had the system that attaches to it) is supposed to clip on the inside toward the engine, but the hooks are on the outside and it looked opposite of what it should be, so I flipped it over, but even though I have tried to time it using the balloon on a cylinder method, it wants to kick backwards so I think I will have to go back to the way it was.

Anyway, after going over everything and trying many opinions, it finally came down to the suggestion that it might be the Vacuum tank isn't working properly, and is filling, but isn't completely shutting off the gas being drawn into the tank when full, as a result, it might be flooding overfull and going down the airlines into the engine, and out the carb causing it to stall, after it is off for a while, the lines clear out, the carb drains, and it can limp along a little while longer.

So I thought I would get a fuel pump on it to see if that clears it up.
HOWEVER,

Looking online at the concerns I am wondering if it is worth it or not.
I keep seeing posts about corrosion and the diaphragm in the pumps due to ethanol gas. I have heard also that corrosion resistant pumps still are prone to these problems.

What is the best set of components to avoid these issues?
I also see mention the pressure should be 1/2 pound, and the advice is to use Holley pressure regulators, which start at 1 pound to four pounds, Is 1 pound too much for the car?

If anyone is in the Vancouver BC area who is adept, I would love to have them come take a look at the timing / fuel issue.

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant M2

The Durant Motors Automobile Club