Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Found: A22A-606 Block

Greetings,

I have an engine block that appears to be from a Durant. It's stamped A22A-606 on one side. Per the forum thread http://server1.chevytalk.com/~tony/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/165383/post/last/, one instance is from a 1924 Durant. It's unclear from the thread whether the block is specific to Durant, or also used in the 490 model Chevy. Another forum thread (https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49746) indicates that the motor was manufactured by Continental. There is a logo over the A22A-606 with what appears to be a C overlapping an L (I have no idea what company that represents).

I posted an earlier version of this message last night on the Guestbook page since I thought that one had to be a member of the club to post in the forum. Rick Botti responded (thanks, Rick!) that the block is likely from the '23-'24 A22, and to repost here about it.

This block was just unearthed during an excavation for a house project; it's probably been buried for 70-80 years. As such, I'm not sure if it can be refurbished for use in an operational engine. If you have any interest in this block, please contact me at kale@sdf.org or respond here. I'd like to save it from the scrap heap, but realistically I need to get it out of my yard in the next few months. I can provide pictures to interested parties, and perhaps run a hone through the cylinders or get the block sandblasted to get a better idea of its soundness. I examined it briefly while moving it and didn't see any obvious damage (holes, cracks, broken studs).

Thanks,
Tony

Where Are You From? Massachusetts

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Re: Found: A22A-606 Block

Other buried engines have been brought back to life. This would make a great story if someone would tackle this project and resurrect this old engine!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Here are some pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0c5bwwa5dm39u6k/AAC_orDRaWUkjwAs8T47Sfyra?dl=0

Thanks,
Tony

Any idea of trying to identify what year this A22 Durant block 1921 - 1926, is ? The Registry has only 3 with block casting dates, others are the overhead valve, head casting dates. Don't suppose the engine serial is still readable, I think on the boss above the oil filler pipe. If so perhaps that might pin down a year.
This one might remain a boat anchor.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Norm This is a later block it has the vent stacks (2) on the right side. It also has the ninth head bolt (dead center). There is the boss on the right side of the block which will have a serial number.. but they seemed to get carried away stamping these as I have seen the serial number stamped in as many as three places. On the milled head surface, the boss and also the vent/push rod side (which is hidden by a cover).

So block is 1924 or younger..

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes-3

Bob .. I recall something about the 9th head bolt and can see the center hole in this block. Ah you mean those two vertical rusty posts between one and two cyl, and three and four cyl are vents which are hidden under the push rod cover ? Yes I note the boss on both sides of this block. So this is 1924 - 1926 range. Not of any historical value or use I would imagine now.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

I added some more pictures to the Dropbox folder referenced above. One appears to be a date: 4 17 24. No sign of serial numbers on any of the bosses, though that appears to be a moot point. I might list it on ebay for cheap, in case someone local is interested in a relic.

Thanks,
Tony

The Durant Motors Automobile Club