Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chrome Paint

Hi Yates;
Hope all is well with you up there in North Carolina. A couple of years ago there was a local garage tour in my area. I was fortunate to go to one individuals garage that had over 300 50's and 60's cars. He had quite a set up with the majority of his cars being the 1950's with all that chrome. This individual was financially stable but wanted to experiment with the chrome paint to cut costs on restoration. I for one didn't like the result and anyone could easily tell the difference. It was more gray looking and although it did have a little shine to it, it just didn't look right. But that's my opinion. Maybe you can farm a piece out at a time until your pieces are done. There are other chrome shops that do good work for much less than Paul's, Lombardo's etc. Brian on this forum had some parts done by a company in Michigan that wasn't too bad and he liked the work. Maybe he'll chime in and give you the name so you can call them.

Mike L.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Hi Mike,
Appreciate the info.. Any flaws you have in the piece to be plated will show up in the finished piece. Nickel and chrome will not fill flaws.
Thought I would have received more response to the post.

I think I will give the process a try and report results when finished. Can do most items from my wheelchair. The grey effect could come the person doing the spraying.

Yates

Where Are You From? Newport , NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 Flint

Yates Milton
Hi Mike,
Appreciate the info.. Any flaws you have in the piece to be plated will show up in the finished piece. Nickel and chrome will not fill flaws.
Thought I would have received more response to the post.

I think I will give the process a try and report results when finished. Can do most items from my wheelchair. The grey effect could come the person doing the spraying.

Yates

Hi Yates.
What I learned at the chrome shop is imperfections can be worked out in between the coats of copper. Most of the cast in the chrome process is the labor of manually improving the pits etc. as for my bumpers they are spring steel and they are really difficult to sand and grind out the pits so cost is a bit more for this parts. The company that I used was ABC Chrome in Waterford Michigan. Just by chance I learned this company was founded by one of the members of the Durant Club, a Flint owner Bill Vigus. Bill retired and sold the business some time back.
One of the gentleman working at the local auto parts store saw a chrome painting franchise at one of last years shows and was setting up a shop last time I spoke with him. The process that he was getting ready to do really looked great and held up very well. It could be painted on almost any material and was demonstrated on a vinyl motorcycle seat of all things. Once coated and dried you could not get the chrome to peel regardless of how you distressed the seat. Even taking off the seat cover and rolling into a ball did not crack the finish. Time will tell if that product holds up but it looked great. When questioned of price it was still rather expensive. Again, the prep work was the main cost. I had a set of wheels on my Hummer which were peeling and I considered trying this on the wheels. Unfortunately y the time I had him sand blast the wheels and prep, shoot with the chrome paint I would have been out more than $600 so I decided against it.
I do not think the chrome paint we see on the shelves at the auto shop would compare well towards true chrome but who knows. For the cost of a $5 can and an afternoon prepping a piece I don't see what it would hurt to try. If you do so please share the results. I'd be anxious to know how it turns out. And if you choose to send any parts up to ABC I would be happy to oversee the work as they are rather close to me. Anything I can do to help I will.

Where Are You From? Brighton MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proudly

Yates, I have seen the videos of the new chrome paint process and I think it looks very doable. If I had a place close to me I would certainly have my '29 D60 radiator shell done. I am very curious to see how it looks when properly applied!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

i talked to a powder coater a couple years ago that was doing the spray chrome on race cars he said at that time it was ok but not really great he said give it a couple years and they would have it perfected,havent seen anything spectacular but i havent checked back in a couple years may be the way to go by now davr

Where Are You From? so calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 devaux

Hi All,
I wrote an article some 16 or 17 years ago about Metal Finishing (copper, nickel and chrome) that was published in the "Durant Partner". Will update and send to Carol.

Thanks for all the input.....

Yates

Where Are You From? Newport , NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 Flint

theres a company called alsa paint products, they show the chrome paint and finish and the procedure,i was told its 97 percent reflective compared to chrome,i believe they have videos showing the process, it may be a good product for headlight reflectors also small little parts like dash knobs interior parts etc,watch the video and let us know what you think dave

Where Are You From? so calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 devaux

The Durant Motors Automobile Club