Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flint seals

I reciently installed modern seals in my '25 Flint H-40 Trans. and Pinion housing....Our Local bearing house was very helpful selecting the seals...For the Trans I selected a lip seal having the correct shaft size (seal I.D.) then looked for the smallest cross section in that series (smallest O.D.) with a 1/4" width....I bored the Trans front and rear bearing retainers to approx .003" under seal O.D. for press fit.

Pinion, I machined pinion housing nose to same size as seal O.D. also faced housing nose back for seal/flange clearance (approx 3/16", then machined a press fit collar to extend 5/16".....For machine stock for extension collar I used a cheap 2" shaft collar from bearing house, they measure 2x3x7/8" then braze the 1/2" set lock hole full.... Shop floor seams to be dry now...Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

photo IMG_1025_zpsbjrxy23d.jpg

photo IMG_1013_zpsolh9wnjo.jpg

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '25 Flint H-40 2door / '25 B-40 Touring / '29 D-40 Coupe / '23 A-22 Touring

Re: Flint seals

I've added this article to the Technical Page under Modern Improvements.

Thanks Bill for all the info.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

The Durant Motors Automobile Club