Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Please help ID this hood ornament/light/Moto Meter radiator cap?

I'm wondering if someone can help me id this Durant hood ornament/ light/Moto Meter radiator cap please? The globe part measures 3.75" and the wingspread is 12.5". The blue glass Durant panel in front shows light through it when the interior bulb is on. The two holes in the left and right sides look like they originally had glass which is missing now. There is a vertical slit in the back which could house a thermometer but there doesn't seem to be enough room in the interior for both the light bulb and some kind of temperature gauge? I'm not finding anything similar in my internet searches so thought I'd bring this one to the experts. Any help would be appreciated.

Where Are You From? Gig Harbor, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Re: Please help ID this hood ornament/light/Moto Meter radiator cap?

This probably won't help ID this cap, but I have a thimble (why they would make a thimble to help sell a car I wouldn't know), that has this color of blue background and the same type of font for the lettering. This motometer will probably be some dealer promotion that has got to be rare, never seen another. Cool piece. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Re: Please help ID this hood ornament/light/Moto Meter radiator cap?

My best quess is Someone really got creative, looks like they are using a Cadillac, Lucas or other marques "divers helmet" type tail light unit. The square area where they placed the DURANT type is where the license marker lens goes which at this era light would be facing downwards. The red lens that normally faced out is now mounted downwards. The two side lights lenses would have been Clear,amber or Red.
Interesting, for sure.

Where Are You From? New England

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes a few :)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club