Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Continental Motor Oil Filtrator

Hi Tom
The one link you sent me where you circled the remains of the decal on the Filtrator was a dead end. When I clicked it it would not let me see it. Can you try again or send me a link to it directly. Thanks.

Mike

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

No that one will not open I got something about opening a Google account.

I've tried enlarging the engine pic with the oval decal on the canister but it just gets blurrier, you can't read it. Think its Filtrator in lrage print across the middle but top / bottom words ??

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Not much of a picture, but all I have. Even when I magnified it, I couldn't make anything out.

Where Are You From? Grand Junction, CO

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe, 1929 Durant 663, 1929 Druant 666

Here is the only image of the oil Filtrator label I could find.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Model 60 Roadster

Finally realized that when I got my 29's from Dave Schulte he gave me a manual to go with them. The manual has the picture of the engine with the filtrator showing. The pictue below is the best possible scan, but due to the fact that halftone printing was used originally there is only so much that can be teased out of the image. I think it is fairly clear that across the middle was HWFILTRATOR (see Trade Mark HWFiltrator link in one of my previous posts above). The picture below is blown up a bit too much, but if you click on the link below the picture and bring up the picture you can scale it up and down that helps some. Other than that, who knows

Filtrator Blowup

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe, 1929 Durant 663, 1929 Druant 666

He Tom;
See if you can post it again or something, it did not come through. If I can get a decent picture, I'll have something to work with to try and copy it.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Tom,
I took the liberty to download and set the color back to black and white.

Riok

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster & 1931 Model 619 Sedan

I was looking through the Museum and noticed that there is a ten year index of the Durant Family Partner. In it there is a listing for "oil filtrator" Volume X, Issue 2, Page 9. That issue isn't online so I can't look at it. Is there anyone that has a copy of that issue who can see if there is anything in that article that might help with the decal?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe, 1929 Durant 663, 1929 Durant 666

Hi Tom, thanks for the posting. I manage the "virtual museum" and will someday have all the past copies posted there. It takes scanning each individual copy, converting it to the flip page program so it can be viewed and then creating the listing on the "virtual museum" site and uploading the magazine to the site. Takes some time and I've been busy with other things, but the good news is that I have a full set of the old club magazines here that were shipped to me by Bob Smith and will look though to find that issue and check it out. If it has more information I will post it. I think that I could probably figure out what was said on there, but the colors would be what I would like to get right. Maybe black and silver or some red in there. The units were supposedly painted black, so a contrasting decal probably would have been used. I'll keep looking.

Mike

Mike:

I checked out the Durant Standard - Volume 10 issue 2 page 9. The page shows a beautiful cut away picture of the HWOILFILTRATOR - H - W stands for Hall-Winslow . No picture of the decal.
We think that we have seen a B & W copy of the decal, but can't remember where. If we can find it we will post a copy.

Gord & Will

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Ltd., Leaside, Ontario

Steve might get an idea from a canister that still has part on it. He's gone after the car info for the Registry and also a pic of the decal. From checking the owners addy the car seems to be in Sweden. Green Two Door 6 cyl Durant, no landau arms so not a 60. I think the vin plate as an L on it.

Sorry guys this is what is left of the decal on this D 60 two door from Lansing between Jan to July 1929.

photo oil cannister photo.jpg

Hey Norm, this helps tremendously, looks like the decal was black, dark grayesh blue maybe with orange letters. Something to start with and I'll start working on it when I get the time. Thanks Again!

I have been trying for sometime to figure out how to get Filtrator out of Norm's picture. I was searching around the other day and came across an ad in the September 22, 1929 issue of Automotive Industries found here:

Automotive Industries 9/22/1928

(or search in google for "automotive industries september 22, 1928 brilliant advance")

What you will find there is that they apparently dropped the Filtrator name for 1929 and instead used H-W-FILTER with oil superimposed over the word filter (if you look closely at the black blob over FILTER you can see the word OIL). This lines up nicely with Norm's picture.

There is another ad in the same magazine for July 21, 1928 that uses the H-W-FILTRATOR both of these ads indicate that Rich Tool Company of Detroit Michigan is who sold the filters.

Maybe we are a bit closer to the decal

Where Are You From? Grand Junction, Colorado

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe, 1929 Durant 663, 1929 Durant 666

If we could get the measurements of the oval, and the height of the remaining letters, we could start to mock-up the graphics for a replacement. The miracle of modern computers and graphics programs!

Where Are You From? Yucaipa, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D60 R/S Coupe

Hi All: This was a great discussion of the oil filter for the 14L...but can anyone help me find a oil filter for the 22A and/or 40A Continental. Years ago I had 2 extra (got them from NAPA) that I sold off. Anyone got a idea?
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Gary,
Someone is selling new repro filters for Mopar car on eBay.
They are pricy at $80 each.

eBay also has NOS filters, the average price was $50 and up.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 of them

I mentioned on forum a long time ago that Randy said he had canister filters. Since no one seemed interested I emailed Todd about them for the Plymouth lads.
http://www.ply33.com/Models/PB/ Todd Fitch webmaster@ply33.com
You'll find the various filters on his site under
http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group10

Have no idea if Randy still has lots of them.

Minaker's Auto Parts(Milford) Ltd
Est.1925
3073 Cty Rd 10, Box 100
Milford, Ontario K0K 2P0
E Mail : minakersautoparts@hotmail.com
or parts@minakersautoparts.ca
or randy@minakersautoparts.ca
Specializing in hard to get parts.
Ph: (613)476-4547

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 sedan

BTW, Since there are a lot of Continental motors in tractors, there must be a few Filtrators in the area.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 of them

I haven't forgotten the reproduction of whatever decal that was on the filtrators. Will get to that when I can.

Mike:
Thanks for keeping after this one. It was a topic of conversation at the National Meet in Modesto. Regards.

Where Are You From? Yucaipa, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D-60

Hey Tony, I will continue my quest to find a good picture or an actual one out there to use as a go by. I will get them made when I do. May take some time, but there must be one out there somewhere.

Came across this the other day while searching the internet. Not great but the best I have found. At least it gives ideas about color etc. I can't find where the original pictures came from.

Link to where I found the images

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 Star, 29 Durant 63 & 66

The Durant Motors Automobile Club