Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Floor Patterns

ha ha Ken ... well if you did get to Oshawa they have two D products at the Oshawa Auto Museum. The only known 1932 685 Frontenac coupe in pieces for years in the warehouse and they are not sure they have all the pieces anymore. And a 1928 Durant sedan on the floor and in their pictures online but I can't capture it. Don't recall what Steve said the model was when he went after the 685 info or tried to. So another sedan for Jim to get dimensions off of.
Its here briefly on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grUX4T0Hnpk

Oshawa, Ottawa, Orillia, or just Ontario (with O's at both ends) have Billy's cars around somewhere. Star's, Durant's, Rugby's, De Vaux's, Frontenac's, from 1922 to 1933. The oldest 1922 Leaside A22 Durant touring is just outside Ottawa. 2nd oldest is in Guelph. Like the song says "Good Things Grow In Ontario".

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Norm:
A couple of those guys are close to home, I don't think Alfred Durant is still around in Smiths Falls but I'll try the others. Perhaps they will show up in Orillia or Oshawa. Looking forward to meeting some of you folks.
Jim

Where Are You From? lombardy. Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 40

Jim .. think there was an auction a year or so back at Alfred Durant's place when he lived on Code Rd and both his cars were sold.

There are more Durant's around then we know about or are not members of DMAC in our part of Ontario. There is supposed to be a 40 on Hawthorne Rd just past the golf coarse in the brush behind the house. Heard about that for years but not exactly where, as an example. Another D in Winchester but who or where ? Oh that twigged a memory of another near White Lake Village who contacted me a few years back looking for parts. Still have some of the email. Dave Desjardins with a 28 M2 sedan, he is a member of DMAC.

Too bad we can't step back in time when Kenny McDougall had the wrecking yard in Jasper, and all sorts of our cars in the yard. Crushed them all.

Norm, I have spent a number of afternoons at McDougall's. I once tried to buy a 1952 Pontiac from him and fortunately did not succeed. There was another one out around Sterling (I think)that I visited before the owner brought in a crusher to meet environmental demands. I would remember the name if I heard it. It is a shame that our kids will not have the chance to walk through these old car museums. Interestingly enough, my wife googled Alfred Durant and found the auction notice. Thanks.
Jim

Where Are You From? lombardy. Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 40

Yes when Kenny's mother died he crushed all the cars and sold the yard, years ago before any enviro nonsense. The McDougall name stayed from owner to owner on the yard since. It's almost a shady place or something with getting shut down many times and posted. Yes Moose Creek was another wrecker and lad died not long ago. He also crushed his cars thanks to enviro silliness. He still had parts in buildings which is why I stopped in to see if he might have a fender light lense. Nope but had lots of Ford A cowl lights and parts. He told me he shipped a 1930 Durant out west.
Another is Covil Auto Wreckers near North Augusta. Alan Covil signed off as owner of my 32 Durant in 1961. I recalled square bodied cars way back at that place when I went after a plate to cover the radio opening on my 66 Chevy 1/2 ton, when I bought the 72 Chev Suburban and put the radio in that. Alan is long deceased but yard is still there They had nothing vintage or parts. Told me they can only keep a car 10 months on the ground per enviro boys, but did tell me to contract Minaker below Picton at Milford, as Randy has buildings full of parts. Sure does and old green school buses as well. Randy also crushed 2000 cars of our vintage in 2006 to keep the enviro boys away. One was a 1930 or 31 614 Durant sedan, still on its wire wheels, lights, engine etc. I have a pic taken 2005 of it. You can see other square bodied cars rusting in the sun.

With Alfred Durant, it would be interesting to know if the cars stayed local or not. There was two at a Greely auction a few years back and have a feeling they stayed somewhere in Eastern Ont.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club