Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: national meet

Maybe its time for me to clear up a few misconceptions.. I am not really an alcoholic even though it sounds like it -- My drink of choice is Yukon Jack as everyone knows but usually only one in mid afternoon With the hot weather we have been having here I have also been having a beer once in a while to help cool down I could probably get to like the drinks too much if I really tried but I dont want to get to that point.
Charlie --I finally found a brew house and am bringing 3 bottles of our beer for testing-- I will join you in a short snort of them
See you all in a few weeks--( if I can stay sober long enough)
Ken--(Yukon Jack)

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 6-14 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hey Don, the hobby has been and is still alive around the world. The American Philatelic Society, which I am a member, has over 35,000 members and the Royal Philatelic Society in the U.K. has a larger number. You just need to do an Internet search to find the clubs, auction houses etc. The corner stamp and coin store are few and far between today and most sales are done on the Internet or through auction houses. Many towns and cities still have stamp clubs, I know here in Orlando there is one that meets twice a month. Like most of our hobbies that interested many of us the hobby is getting older. They young people just don't have the time, interest and money to put into things that kept us busy when we were the younger bunch. Although at the major stamp shows around the world there are youth tables which seem to have a steady number of young people there collecting. Hopefully like our car hobby, this will do a turn around someday. We can only hope!

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Let me guess Mike, Frances mails any packages for you! I am the one that mails ours-and as a stamp collectore - we are being penalized by the government!(what else is new-right). If you print your postage, you get a discount and can just leave it in a bin or on the desk of a post office. IF you put stamps on your package, you get to wait in the long lines until it is your turn, and then if they do not physically cancel the stamps-you get the package returned, and you get to repeat the process! I find this frustrating and have told Charlie he needs to mail his own packages if they have stamps on them.
Looking forward to seeing everyone in Canada this September!!!!!!
IF anyone still has not made up their minds to attend-just jump in and do it. This is a great group of people and you will either rejoice in meeting up again, or smile and be content when you leave from having attended this Conference and met a lot of new friends!

Where Are You From? NJ and San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? 4 1928-31

We received notification from Don that he got our registration...my forever international stamp was good.

Reminder to ALL, the deadline for hotel reservations is Aug 5, the deadline for DMAC registrations is guess??? August 5....Now today is July 11, that leaves 25 days, and subtracting.......

We are looking forward to the trip, and we hope to see all of you.....we heard that Yukon Jack will be joining us all the way from the west coast of Canada, if he can drive all that way....WELL!

See you in September

Charlie and Peggy

Where Are You From? NJ/CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

As Charlie noted, we're now only about 3 weeks away from the registration deadline for the meet. Time to sit down and review the online information for the meet and get your registration on the way. We have interesting things to see and do and the area we travel on the tours is rural with good paved roads and little traffic. We even pass a few, well a lot of multi million dollar weekend "cottages" on the lakes if you want to see how the "other half" lives.

Don't wait for a special meet invitation in the mail, it's not coming by snail mail this year, it's a digital online world now. Check the online club events section for the details, print the forms, mail them and the cheque, check your passport documents for current dates, buy travel health insurance, book your hotel room, sit back and relax.

We've had a good number of registrations come in so far, but only from both the left and right coasts of North America. Where's the registrations from the middle states and provinces? Too far to bring a vintage Durant or Star to tour in? Come anyway and share in the fun with the others.

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star F Touring

Let me echo Don's comment about coming.....you do not have to bring a car, many do not, but if you can bring a car we all love to look at them and ask questions.

If you are from Mid-America, or Central Canada please join us, you can drive or fly and enjoy the journey.

Peg and I have been attending since 2003, and while we have not been to a DMAC every year, we have been to most, and we really enjoy the friendship and fellowship, and the members are just fantastic. Those of you that have been to a meet are well aware, those of you that have never attended, come join us, and you will have a great time, and then you will join us in future years.

Peg and I will be flying from San Diego the week before, and then driving to the meet via Niagara Falls, and then returning to NJ traveling east thru Canada for another day or so.

See you in less than 60 days.

Don't forget it might take a little longer to get the mail to Canada from the U.S. and it needs an airmail stamp to get there quicker. Register early so Don and Birgit can get a good number of who's attending. Those that have put this on, know how much work it is. Venues and vendors need to know in advance to make this a great event. Hope to see you all there!

Mike

there is no such thing as an airmail stamp anymore, all mail travels via air that goes any distance.

go to the post office and get an international forever stamp.

Bert & Sonia Babick
Hi all, Look out!! we are on our way Orillia Canada. Air fare done. hotel reservations done. check to Don, on its way. car rental done. Sonia and mtself cant wait to see all of frenda again, and meet new ones.. Only nine weeks to go. As my civics teacher told us, FUN FUN FUN WE EAT IT UP!!Bye for now,

Hey -- watch out--I am planning to be around the area somewhere. Havent registered yet but its coming soon as I find out if my grandson is going to join me. One way or another I am going to be there with my Yukon Jack Charlie--I wont forget it. See you all In Ontario.
Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Got my reservations made.. Is there anything else I need--- sure nice getting old --except for the bad memory.
See you all in Ontario
Have my Yukon Jack supply ready to go with me.

Hey Don- is there anything else I should be getting -Or arranging -before I leave here for the east??

Ken

by the numbers:

1. Hotel reservation.
2. DMAC reservation.
3. Supply of Yukon Jack (maybe that should be #1)
4. Pack your bag.
5. Sit back and let your grandson drive east.
6. See you at the meet.

charlie

Ken it sounds like you've covered the bases and Charlie provided the summary to double check. Just bring yourself, your Grandson and good weather and leave the rest to us. Best warn the relatives in Ontario you are coming and start counting down the days.

Thanks everyone
Grandson has cancelled out--Cant get time off from his new job. Guess I am on my own again. If there is anything I havent done I will maybe be able to do when I get there-- Got my Yukon all ready to go Charlie---We can have a short snort when I get there
See you all in Ontario
Ken

We're now two weeks out from the registration deadline of August 5th. Pretty well time for the procrastinators to sit down and fill out the registration and pop it in the mail. Listen folks, it's not the deadline for doing your dreaded income taxes for the IRS, it's a fun thing to meet new and old friends and have a great time seeing a new area! The Durant Partner is out now with meet information and a form in it or you can go to the club events on the left panel of this website and get the details. We have a nice number of registrants so far with a variety of cars coming for the touring.

Take advantage of the summer heat to sit under a shady umbrella, fill out the form and a cheque and plop a round forever stamp on it and let the post office do the rest. We'll let you know when it arrives at our end.

Reservation and $ sent in: Check, Hotel reservation made: check, now for flights and rental car. Looking forward to seeing everybody and hopefully getting out of this Florida heat and humidity!

I almost screwed up--- didnt think of registering with the club .
sent the check and registration forms to Don today. Now when I see you guys I will be legal-- Maybe a bit tipsy but legal anyway
Ken

And what would an annual DMAC be without Yukon Jack?

Don't panic folks. I had an email from a member that misunderstood the registration cost and thought it was very expensive to attend. The complete registration not including hotel cost which you book on your own is US$110.00 or CAN$138.00 per person. That includes the whole deal, tours, the lunches, admissions to places we see and the banquet too. The "option" boxes at the bottom of page 2 are designed for locals that can perhaps only attend for one day or a couple of events but not the entire meet. We wanted to include as many people as possible and this allows some folks to attend what they can. So don't fret, the costs are very similar to past meets. So what are waiting for, "get 'er done"!

Don

Two requests
1. Please find a local package store where Yukon Jack can purchase Yukon Jack.
2. Are there any brew pubs or microbreweries in the general area of the hotel.

thanks.

see you in about 7 weeks.

charlie

Charlie
Just a short question--- what kind of beer do you like?? We have a few small brew pubs and breweries here and I thought I might try them out Since I know very little about beer i figure I would check with a guy that should know a bit about them All I can find here about them is that there is a quite a variety of brews made Maybe I will bring some to have you check out.
Ken

Ken

There are a lot of styles of beer. From Hefeweizen to Stout.

My favorite styles are IPA (India Pale Ale), Pale Ale, Ambers, Reds, ESB (Extra Special Bitters) those are few and far between.

The IPA's tend to be hoppy to very hoppy depending if they are Imperial IPA, Double IPA or just an IPA.

Pale Ale's are hoppy but not to the extent that of an IPA.

Ambers and Reds tend to be in the middle of the beer family and are good with most foods, especially meats and seafood (although I drink IPA's with everything).

Hopefully Don will find a brewery or brewpub close to the hotel and we can go one evening and enjoy a few different styles.

If you are in a brewery or brewpub that offers a flight of beers, they are typically 3-4 ounce glasses and you get 4-5 total for $10 or so for all of them. That is a good way to see what you like, and then order a Pint.

See you soon.

charlie

Hotel reservations made, registration mailed today, see everyone in September!

Where Are You From? Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

Thanks everyone for getting the registrations in and a reminder to others to get them in.

We still want to emphasize the fact the meet cost is US$110.00 or CAN$138.00 per person and that covers the registration, tour and meet activities and lunches, basically all but the hotel which you book separately. When completing the form, there's no need to select the "option boxes" showing separate costs, they're for visitors that can only attend one or two events and not the entire meet. Of course if you can only join us for a day or two, then by all means select the option boxes that work for you and come out with us.

So look for the first box on the form that says BEFORE DEADLINE COMPLETE REGISTRATION and that one covers the entire meet at a very reasonable cost.

Where Are You From? Oro Station, Ontario, Canada

Zowie......one week away from the registration deadline on August 5. Anyone unsure about any meet details or need a reason to attend?

Just to catch your attention, 3/4 of the Atkinson family took the boat cruise on Lake Couchiching this afternoon, the same one we take on Saturday of our meet. It was a really hot and humid day here and well, what's nicer than skimming across the open water with a nice breeze in your face? So it's good to go upon your arrival at the meet. That is if you get into gear like the old car and get your registration in the mail NOW! August 5 is the deadline.

By the way, there has been such overwhelming interest in the boat cruise, everyone that wants to go on it will be able to and we'll move the tech session forward to Friday afternoon.

Download the form, fill out the cheque, get the cute little round forever stamp and pop it in the mail. See you soon!

Don

and please save those 'cute' little round stamps for me....thanks.

I think for the boat cruise I will wear my US Coast Guard baseball cap!

the Commander

We're getting down to the wire now. We still have space for you to attend, and in fact two new openings. We invited both Trump and Clinton to attend and told them they would be in good company with so many visitors arriving from USA. Trump said he wouldn't come unless we built a wall around Canada first and Clinton had to check through her emails first to see if it was okay to attend. Not sure either one could find Orillia in their neighbour country and most important trading partner, Canada. Oh well, leaves more room for the rest of us at the meet.

Time to get your registration completed and mailed in. We look forward to seeing everyone at the meet.

Don

Your Canadian humor or sarcasm, as it be, is interesting. Hopefully, for a week we will not have to listen to, read about, or discuss US politics.

see you in just a few days more than a month.

charlie

Worry not Charlie, we have more than our share of political duds and misfits in Canada too, it's the times we live in.

Well today is August 5. If you are planning to attend and have not sent your registration in, we'd sure like to have you with us. These are "people" events and they're only fun, interesting and informative when the people show up, new faces and familiar ones alike. So if you've never been to a DMAC meet before, come out to this one. We have very good numbers registered so far but we always want to see more and new faces come out. Everyone is welcome at this meet, EVERYONE!

Send in your form now. Also, book the hotel now to get the special DMAC meet rate. If you are reading this after the August 5 deadline, we will make it work if you register - just send me an email and let me know you can come and we'll make it work.

Yukon:

Peg and I know you are only a social drinker, we let the others think what they want.

Thanks for getting some craft beer, we look forward to tasting them with you.

Hopefully Don has a couple of breweries in the local area for us to try as well.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks.

Charlie

We'll be brining our Durant A-22. Peggy Vogel-Otto will be riding with me and my parents. We'll be stopping to spend some time in Niagra Falls on Wednesday, but we'll be there Wednesday night for dinner.

My Durant isn't running well, but at least she is running. We'll be bringing it. Hopefully I can get it running better before we leave town.

See everyone soon.

adamadam

Where Are You From? Saint Paul, MN

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22

I am going to bring something for everyone to try when I get there --- and I dont mean Yukon Jack.. I been busy in the kitchen since Norma left .. She and my two daughters are in Kitimat--I just hung up the phone--they just arrived in Kitimat---Its a two day trip so they did good. I been busy in the kitchen making my favorite snack and made enough for all of us to try-- DO YOU ALL HAVE THE NERVE TO TRY MY STUFF--guaranteed --its great stuff.And no calories--- isnt in the recipe and I didnt add any- lol See you all in a couple of weeks

Ken
P S =--No alcohol in it either

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant model 6-14 deluxe rumble seat coupe

Hey Adam, sounds like a tech session to me. If the Durantonians can't get it running then who can right?

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

I think that's a great idea as I have a considerable amount of Durant factory correspondance to sell and emmorabilia to go with it....my mother worked for Durant Motors in Elizabeth,NJ back in the twenties. I would also like to sell the extremly rare 614 coach that has recently been completely restored by Automotive Restorations here in New jersey.

Where Are You From? Union,NJ

Do You own a car built by Durant? I own the only existing 1930 614 Coach in existance with dual side walls and wire wheels....the ex Jeff Gillis car

Well Art, load up the U-Haul and head on up to the meet in Orillia and take a run at offering any memorabilia to the members. You can also tour with the group. You could simply load up the 614 and drive up to the meet with it; they made those trips in these fine cars before we all got soft and came to expect perfect high speed hard surfaced roads.........

Well, where has the summer gone? We're only two weeks out, that's 2 weeks out now from the great gathering in Orillia. We look forward to seeing everyone at the meet.

If you have not registered and don't want to miss out, we can squeeze you in. Just send a note along and we'll take care of you.

Guess its about time for me to pack my bags and get the car warmed up. Another five day drive here to Orillia. I am kind of used to it now --been driving here to Ontario for a lot of years. I was born and raised in Timmins so I know my way now. I am looking forward to it and kind of have a feeling this may be my last trip of that length. I am not getting any younger and the miles seem to be getting longer as well as the traffic getting heavier. Gets tougher to handle than it was when I was 20 yrs old. I figure to spend a few more weeks in Ont when I am there so I can visit all my old relatives and friends Hope it doesnt snow before I start back home--
Brace your selves folks. Wont be long till I will be there being a pain in the hind quarters
See you all soon .
Ken

We cannot wait to catch up with you Ken, Any chance you can talk your other half in coming this trip! WE have not seen her in years!

Sorry Peggy--That woman says she has had enough travel for this year.
I am on my own again-- footloose and fancy free - but I intend to enjoy myself anyway. See you all soon.
Ken

Well everyone, last call to rally the troops! We're one week away now from the day when most people arrive at the meet. Remember to bring your passport documents to cross into Canada and have safe travels along the way.

If you're still sitting on the fence and haven't registered yet but now feel the urge to come join us, send me an email and we'll take care of you. We want everyone involved.

We look forward to seeing everyone next week on Wednesday September 7th.

Getting very anxious to meet everyone and join in the fun. I explained to my wife (who unfortunately can not attend) that to become a true Durantonian I would be required to attend the gathering. Then she said "I thought you bought the Durant for me?" It's very important that I return with jewelry.

Where Are You From? Brighton Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proudly

Brian

It is too bad that you wife cannot attend, Peg and I have been DMAC members since 2002, and we have been to most annual meetings since, and I have not been to one without her.....she has more fun than I do at these events. And I think that you will find this to be a very active organization, and we consider ourselves "family", you are about to join a family. And after the first day, you will be calling your wife and telling her what a great time you are having, which you were here.

See you in a week.

Charlie and Peggy

Peg and I are packing for the trip to Canada, and will depart the Garden State in the morning. First stop, Niagara Falls for the night, then cross the border to see the falls from the Canadian side, then to Toronto Airport to pick up a passenger. ETA at the hotel should be about 1500 EDT.

We are looking forward to seeing everyone.

Charlie and Peggy

To all those traveling now and tomorrow, I hope you all have a safe trip! See you in Orillia!

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

A huge thank you to Don and Birgit for hosting such am amazing gathering for the 19th Annual DMAC Meet. It was clear that they both spent a great deal of their time to arrange such a great event. I can't imagine the effort it takes to get all the pieces to fall into place for an event this size but they certainly did it. Don gave me the added benefit of riding along in the front set of his car on the first tour which offered a good deal of history and information of the area. It was a thrill.

Everyone went above and beyond to make me feel welcome at my first DMAC gathering and I was informed before my departure that I am now an official "Durantonian". I'm honored. I also found answers from car owners to some of my mechanical questions, located a few parts needed and learned some history of the car I purchased. It was exciting to learn the car was part of the group many years back.

Looking forward to many more gatherings with the DMAC. We will be making a grand effort for Julie to join me on the next go around.

Where Are You From? Brighton Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proudly

Brian it was great to meet you and by all means, bring your Wife next time. She'll get along will with everyone and be made feel right at home the first time she meets everyone. I agree 100% that Don and Birgit had gone well and beyond and set the standard very high for our meets. Although every meet I've attended has always gone smoothly with the exception of the usual Durantonian getting lost. I know Frances and I hated to leave and get back to the regular routine. Congratulations to Peggy and Charlie Spitz for being presented with the William C. Durant Award this year. Well deserved! You'll be able to read more about the whole meet in an upcoming issue of the Durant Partner. For those of you who could not make it, you missed a great get together with a good number of cars touring a beautiful part of Canada!. For those of you who who have never gone to a Durant meet, then you just don't know what your missing. Check out the "Club Events" button on the left of this page or watch the future issues of the Partner. Events throughout the East, West and Canada are posted. I hope everyone made it home without an problems!

Brian: we are glad that you enjoyed the DMAC Annual Meeting, and we look forward to seeing you in Modesto, CA in 2017, along with all of the other new members that were at the 2016 Meet.

Michael: Thank you for your kind words. Peg and I are most honored to be recognized by the Durant Club with this award.....and you were starting to read the names, I was grabbing my camera, just like I always do, to get ready to take the photos, and I froze for a few seconds trying to figure out how I was going to take our photo....thanks Bob Smith for taking over for me.

Those of you that have been to our NJ house know that the walls of my office are covered in "stuff", and those of you that have seen our CA house know that my office walls are sorta bare, so we have decided that since Peg and I share the Escondido office, we are going to hang the award there. And also, most of you know we purchased our first Durant at a Classic Car Showroom in Downtown San Diego in August of 2002, so it is fitting that we display the award in the County that started us on the Durant road.

Again, Thank You so much for this honor.

Charlie and Peggy

Brian- We are so happy you felt at home in our DMAC group! You fit right in! Sorry you could not stay until Sunday-but hopefully next year you can stay until the end! Get some of your kids to help you get the Durant up to snuff with the parts you bought! See you next year!

Birgit and I live closest to the meet and we're still unpacking and putting things away! Ha ha! We enjoyed so much to host everyone this year and it was such a truly rewarding experience for us. It was great to have about 68 people registered and about 15 cars sign up to tour on nice quiet rural roads with reasonably good weather. Oh by the way, anyone notice the Massasauga rattle snake warming up in the middle of the road on the way back from Big Chute? And come to think of it, I don't think we really lost any members this year on our driving tours. Anyway, it was great to see everyone again and a big thank you to all the members and new ones for coming out and making it a special and memorable event. A big thank you to all the members that helped carry things in and out of the hospitality room, the others that helped set up the lunch table and later helped with the clean up, thanks Don Federlein for following up with the trouble truck and trailer, and thanks to the guys for carrying the tables and the loaded heavy old school coke coolers to and from the lunch stops. These things made our job easy and lightened the load considerably - THANKS EVERYONE.

In closing, this meet or any the club holds would be a non starter if the members did not come out and support it. When the members come together, it's like the sun came out and everyone has a great time. On behalf of Birgit and myself we'd like to thank everyone for attending and we're already looking ahead to next year in Modesto, CA.

Rick's new photo on the forum home page was taken at the recent 2016 National meet at the very historic Coldwater Mill. Thanks Charlie Spitz for shooting the pic and many others for us.

So three Canadian built and Ontario registered cars. Can you identify them all?

Rick: Thanks for choosing one of my photos for the DMAC Forum....I opened the page this morning and I was surprised, and then a big smile.....I loved that photo as I was taking it, and I want to thank all three owners for their cooperation in making that photo happen

Don: thanks for the comment. Hopefully your thumb drive also arrived at your home.

As most of the members know, I really enjoy taking photos, and I am very proud to see them on our website.

charlie

1 2

The Durant Motors Automobile Club