Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Camshaft timing A22 motor

Lew:

The best we can do is refer you to the 1993 Durant's Standard volume 18 number 3 - Tom Van Meeteren's column "The Repair Shop"

This article gives a detailed description of A - 22 Durant Motor Adjustments.
I hope this helps.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors, Leaside

The valve timing procedure #87 in the instruction manual should get you in the correct tooth contact....Be aware that the fiber cam gears have been known to loosen on the cam and could affect the valve timing....Ken Brink had an aluminum gear machined for his A-22.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Lew,

What may be confusing in the valve timing method used in the A-22 Instruction manual is that in reality you are timing the engine on number 1 cylinder at T.D.C. "exhaust" stroke....I use the valve or cam lobe positions on #4 cylinder when assembling a 4 cylinder engine, then # one cylinder is on T.D.C. compression and IGN/Dist is ready to time.

Thanks Bill, I did figure that out but I assumed I could set the distributed to #4 fire. I'll try your method as it makes more sense.

Lew

Where Are You From? Baltimore, MD

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep, 21 A-22

My early A22's don't have fiber gears. Lucky there. My other make cars used fiber gears around the same time and some are problematic.

Where Are You From? Baltimore, MD

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep, 21 A-22

Actualy, if you time the engine according to the book just remember to turn the crank one full turn then you will be on #1 compression....When timing your camshaft, two things must happen at the very same time, (1) #1 piston will be at the very top of its travel and (2) valves on #1 will just be "crossing" (exh. just closing, Int. just cracking) both lifters will be down....Just think of the pairs of cam lobes on your camshaft as being in a "V" cofiguration and the lifters are setting in the bottom of the V....It works for me.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club