Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lower fan belt pulley

Can anyone tell me if the lower fan belt pulley is just pressed on? I can't see that the drive shaft is threaded for a retainer bolt and I find it hard to believe that it is held on by friction. The manual doesn't explain it very well. Help would be appreciated.
Jim

Where Are You From? Lombardy

Do You own a car built by Durant? D-40

Re: Lower fan belt pulley

Sorry. It is a w5 engine.

Where Are You From? Lombardy

If I remember correctly I think the keyway was tapered. On james car we pulled it off with a wheel puller. we put back by aligning keyway and tapped it on with a rubber mallet. The thing is I don't remember if it was a moon key or semi tapered?

Where Are You From? bay area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 flint/1927 locomobile

It is a standard half moon key and the pulley is a straight tight fit into position.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

It is a half moon key. I guess that the tension of the belt would also prevent it from coming off. I will tap it back on and replace the belt. I hope to start it up this week for the first time in 46 yrs. I have followed the manual for timing, new plugs, wires, points, coil, etc. and excited to see if it will run. Thanks for the input. Will post as to how it goes.
Jim

The Durant Motors Automobile Club