Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
That first time feeling

https://goo.gl/photos/4rFpWqTxU35iWPdK8

There is nothing quite like that first time you hear her run or take her out for her first drive!

After spending the last 8 years in a dark storage unit I rescued her and brought her across the state to her new home. The previous owner and restorer had passed away leaving the car anything but prepared for long term storage. One flat tire and 4 gallons of gas turned varnish, gum and rust had completely closed up every fuel passage on the car. I started at one end of the fuel system and worked my way from tank to intake. With the help of one of our future Durant enthusiasts of 9 years old, my son Sawyer. Pleased to see his tablet put down long enough to get his hands a little dirty and learn what tools are.

Just as it was with my daughter years ago as she and I built experimental airplanes together in our shop I was starting a whole new tradition with my son. Uncertain if he will follow my interests such as his sister did I can only give it my best and if nothing more....spend some time with my boy. Sawyer has kindly waited on the sidelines these past several years while his Mom and Dad care for his little brother Cully. Cully was diagnosed at two years old with "Autism" and a rare seizure disorder which almost took his life and has left him with a level of brain damage. As we have now reached a level of security and stability it is time for some much needed make up time with Sawyer. And Dad needs a break too which is where the Durant car comes in.

Today was our day to add gas and spin the crank. With a fresh fuel system in place I pushed the starter button and waited to see what would happen. At this point I had no history of the car. Will she run? Are all the rods connected, the coolant system sound? Will she knock loud enough to make the puppy bark? And after 60 seconds of that starter turning over....... Nothing. Disappointed. I sat there for a second. The pressure is on. The wife is standing in the driveway with a glare in her eyes and a garden hose in her hand. Perhaps she was watering the plants or perhaps expecting another one of my projects to go astray.

Footnote here......... As I mentioned above I "built" aircraft in the past.Past tenths. As in once you crash a plane in front of your wife you no longer build them. You loose all say in the matter and have no recourse to argue the situation.

So back to the Durant.. I sit in the seat wondering what I need to say to the wife when I glance over and see the key is in the "OFF" position. With that at hand I now know exactly what to say....... "JUST PRIMING IT HONEY"! Turn key on and hit the starter... Instant gratification! The children at the window bouncing up and down as I pull her out to the front lawn, the puppy barking at the boys excitement and not at the smooth running Continental motor... QUICK, check the wife? ? YES! SHES SMILING! Step out and look it over! NO SMOKE! NO COOLANT DRIPPING OUT! And a smile on my face ear to ear. Its been a long time since Dad had play time with all that has been going on these past few years. I think the Durant rescued me.

I have a long ways to go with this car and an awful lot to learn but Sawyer and Dad took a ride together in the Durant today. A short ride but I bet we both will remember it for a long time!

Where Are You From? Brighton Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proudly

Re: That first time feeling

What a great story Brian!
That one should go into the next Partner.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Roadster

https://goo.gl/photos/4rFpWqTxU35iWPdK8

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant Roadster

Thats great Brian .. you got the 1929 2nd series 60 running again.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Great story and beautiful car Brian! Keep Dem Durants Runnin! Hope to see you at a Durant meet soon!

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Rick Botti
What a great story Brian!
That one should go into the next Partner.

Rick

Thank you Rick. And thank you for adding the link correctly as well.

Where Are You From? Brighton Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proudly

The Durant Motors Automobile Club