Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Durant Owner.... It was destined to happen

Hello from Michigan. A new Durant owner as green as they come.

I have some family history that drew me to wanting a Durant for a number of years now. My Uncle was Vice President of General Motors back about 1916 as well as for Chevrolet. He was a very good friend and business partner of Mr Durant and spent a great deal of time with him both business and personal. When Durant set out to start the company my Uncle assisted in numerous ways. He was also a stock holder though primarily in the Flint Motor Company. As the holder of most of his belongings I found myself more and more interested in the car. My Grandfather as well shared moments with Mr Durant and on one occasion at the White House. The gene pool seems to have been interrupted through the generations as I could not build or market a soap box derby car myself.

So I have learned a great deal of my family and much of the automobile and life in Flint Michigan but I know little about the Durant car itself. I fear I may be in trouble so I will be looking forward to spending time on here and learning from all the seasoned proffesionals. While I am the owner of early Franklin Air cooled car I doubt much of my experiences will be of help to me now.

For starters I have a broken steering wheel due to trying to steer through the window while moving the car out of storage. A shame as the wood and the hub were in fine shape but one of the four spokes now lays on the seat. Where might I locate one? And other accessories such as the side mounted tires could use covers etc.

Wishing that I could join and visit the up and coming meet but too soon for me to arrange for such a grand time.. But you can be certain that I will be at the next one and many more from then on. Looking forward to a lot of Durant fun and meeting some great folks along the way!

So..... Hi everyone!

Brian

Where Are You From? Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proud Owner of a '29 Durant

Re: New Durant Owner.... It was destined to happen

Welcome Brian and congratulations on your acquisition!

A year ago I purchased my first Durant and as of last Saturday, I am now the proud owner of three (don't ask, it was a deal that I couldn't refuse).

You will find a vast amount of knowledge here and friendly advice. I'm sure someone will have a line on a new steering wheel. It sounds like you have some insider knowledge about Mr. Durant, I'm sure you will be getting questions about that.

Tom

Where Are You From? Grand Junction, CO

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Durant Star Coupe, 1929 Durant 663 Sedan and a 1929 Durant 666 Sedan

Brian

As one of the Eastern Regional Directors, let me welcome you aboard....if you have not completed the application form, I would suggest that you do so and join as soon as possible, and if you are interested in a life membership, those are also available. Husband and wife are one membership, and both get a vote at the annual meeting.

Sorry that you cannot attend the September meeting in Ontario, but typically our annual meetings are the week or so after Labor Day...mark your calendar for 2017.

If you need information about anything Durant, just post a question, and you will get many of the members to chime in with assistance. And attending an annual meeting or a regional meeting is very helpful as you get to meet the members...as my wife says, the DMAC is a family, and she looks forward to seeing 'the family' every September.

Again, welcome

Charlie Spitz

Where Are You From? NJ/CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Welcome to the world of Durants. Sorry to hear you can't make it to the national meet. Next spring we will most likely have a East Coast Chapter meet, Hopefully you can make that one.

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

Hi Brian,
I would also like to welcome you to the DMAC and the greatest people you will ever meet. You will have no trouble getting all the info. you need to get your car up and going. We have in my opinion a great website and a great magazine.
Great to have new members especially those with connections with Billy Durant.

Yates Milton

Where Are You From? Newport, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes- 24Flint E55

Thank you all for the great welcome, the messages and phone calls. I feel truly welcome. My membership dues are on the way and I am really looking forward to interacting with the club. Looking forward to contributing in any way I can as well.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proud Owner of a '29 Durant

Hi Brian,

I am restoring a 28 Durant and have a 29 for spare parts.
I live on the east side of Toronto.

Do you know what type of Durant you have? 2dr, 4dr, serial number? I'm not sure that the steering wheel I have will be good enough for you but if there are any other parts you need let me know.

I will send pictures if you are interested.

Neil
durant1928@rogers.com

Where Are You From? Claremont, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 4 Door Sedan

Neil Martin
Hi Brian,

I am restoring a 28 Durant and have a 29 for spare parts.
I live on the east side of Toronto.

Do you know what type of Durant you have? 2dr, 4dr, serial number? I'm not sure that the steering wheel I have will be good enough for you but if there are any other parts you need let me know.

I will send pictures if you are interested.

Neil
durant1928@rogers.com

Thank you Neil. Email sent.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proudly

The Durant Motors Automobile Club