Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Howard, Myrons 32 De Vaux roadster in Hemmings Classic Car June 2016 Mag

Hi.
Nice pictures of Howard & Myrons 32 De Vaux roadster ( calleed a convertible coupe!!!!
in the just out June 2016 Classic Car magazine magazine used to be SIA before Hemmings bought it and ruined it putting way too many modern cars on the cover and inside.
Anyway bunch of nice pictures, but info not all right on. Norman & Hall only uysed a totally stock 22-A Continental flathead 6 adding 3 more intake ports and course a different manifolds.I have swapped every single part in those continental so called Hall engines with our Durant continental A-22 engines . Kinda disrespectful not giving Mike and his dad Butters credit for making the swallow radiator cap that I have bought many of same from Mike for some of the 30 Durant cars I have restored, plus not mentioning our DMAC at all . I worked on Wills 30 Durant roadster here with that same engine with Hall on the top of the intake manifold but not on the block, and BTW the car was not one bit faster than a stock Durant car of the same years. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kinda surprised De Vaux and Hall were called on the carpet for lying about designing that engine. Strange. We all should write Hemmings about snubbing our great DMAC club that is the only car club that includes the De Vaux cars. Not sure who owns the car saying three Reinkes, Myron and friend Fred Ward restoration took 38 years!!!!!!!
Gary do you know who owns it and are any of them members of our DMAC?
I did find Howard & Barbara Reinke as members in my old 2006 roster, owning a 31, 6-75 custom sedan, & a 31 6-75 standard sedan.!!!!!!!!!!
If anyone would like this mag E-Bay has 2 for sale $3.95 & one at $2.95, super deal.
If sold out before u grab one I can copy this article for you.
BTW what is the status of our great past sec treas Mike Larsens 31 De Vaux coupe.
Faithfully
Lance

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes a few

Re: Howard, Myrons 32 De Vaux roadster in Hemmings Classic Car June 2016 Mag

Lance;
As soon as I read the article, I fired a letter off to the Editor about the lack of stating in the article the DMAC that honored and covered the Marque. They mentioned in the club section the AACA but not the DMAC. Hopefully they will print something about our covering the DeVaux cars but who knows. I would have thought that the new owner would have mentioned it to the writer, but I don't think he's a club member. It was a nice article though, mentioning the past and some current members of our club that put so much time and effort into making our club what it is today. Those mentioned were long time members who are and were very knowledgeable about DeVaux. Always great to see any of the cars covered by the club mentioned in national magazines.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Lance and Mike:
The 32 DeVaux was first sold at one of the Harrah estate auctions. Howard knew of it but a lady in California got it first. A little later (1976), Howard and Dennis went to California to get it. Later Myron got it from Howard (Howard already had the perfect pair of 31 DeVaux's) Myron did a lot on the car over the years. When Myron passed, Dennis brought the car back in the family. Since he has a body shop, he took care of the things needed to make it perfect. That accounts for all the years. There were only 2 unrestored DeVaux's left in Myron's garage and Howards grandson got a good original 31 Custom sedan. (That's 4 in the family)

Howard is in the club and I just talked to him on the phone yesterday. I am sure he is trying to get his son to join the club.

Lance, I do believe the 40A engine and the 22A are different. I would think they were cast different because of internal changes. The only different gasket is the manifold one as you know.

Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Lance:
I forgot to post on Mike's car. All still in probate I think. His cars were only a small part of his estate.
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club