Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for A-22 Durant owners

I am trying to take my water pump apart and according to the parts catalog both the pulley and impeller are threaded onto the shaft. I know that the pulley is a left hand thread but I am not sure about the thread on the impeller end. Has any one rebuilt one of these pumps recently. I am not looking forward to finding out the hard way.
Any thoughts welcome

Will

Where Are You From? Guelph

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1922 Durant A-22

Re: Question for A-22 Durant owners

Good question Will....The operators manual only describes how to remove the water pump and that the "lock nut and pulley" are both left hand tread...Might contact Jack Melpass in Magnolia, TX, Jack has had dealings with the impellar as I shipped him the whole pump and shaft assembly as a unit for his A-22...Hopefuly someone can be of more help.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

When I rebuilt mine last year, the impeller was a press fit. On my new stainless shaft with custom-milled impeller, it is threaded with a set screw. The belt pulley is now keyed with a set screw. It's been just long enough ago, that I can't remember for sure how the old impeller was attached, but I believe it was RH threaded. I keep all my old bits, so if I find the shaft I will check it and see.

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Will,

Put the keywords "A-22 water pump" in the search block above....Jack Malpass has a description of his experience in removing his impellar, it is in fact 3/8"right hand thread at the impellar end, that was the good news...The bad news is that he broke the shaft off in the impellar in removing it....May want to concider an improvement in that department.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Bill and Todd

Thank-you for the info.
Dad and I figured that it should be right hand thread but you should never assume
when dealing with something 90 plus years old and rusty.

Will

Where Are You From? Guelph

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1922 Durant A-22

The Durant Motors Automobile Club