Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Durant 614 starting problems

For random stalling and subsequent running, check to see that the gas cap vent is open. Mine rusted shut and after a while the vacuum in the tank could not be overcome by the vacuum fuel pump. After siting, air would leak in to the tank and it would run again.

Recently, I lost the gas cap and bought a new one at NAPA. After filling my tank, i noticed gasoline pouring out the overflow tube. It turns out the new caps have a flapper value that lets air in but not out. As the gas warmed up, the pressure inside the tank would increase forcing gasoline out the overflow tube.

Where Are You From? San Francisco area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Durant 614 starting problems

Thanks Vincent, I'll check the gas cap. The cap is quite loose so I would think air could sip by even though the vent is not working properly and I hope the new ignition parts will solve the problem.

Where Are You From? Finland

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 614

The Durant Motors Automobile Club