Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: new technology for our cars

After scanning, were you able to use a program to create the NC program? How did you fill in the missing part? Did you need to know the NC program?

I've been thinking of learning to do this. I've programmed in Fortran and Basic (yes, I'm THAT old) and know a little Java and html. Do you have any suggestions on how I might go about learning to do what you did?

Where Are You From? San Francisco area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Hello Vincent... How ya doin?
Hey, this laser scanning isn't rocket science, or maybe it is?? After all, This is now being used more and more everywhere to reverse engineer obsolete parts like I have done here. BUT, on the other hand...Walmart employee's scan labels everyday...deep..or not?

Once I scan an object, I convert my scan into a solid and then smooth and correct defects with a cad program. Next, I make a tool path from the solid and onto the NC mill. Almost like magic, and everyone loves magic right?

Again, it's not rocket science. People that know me say a lot of things with my name used in a sentence, but never in my life time have I ever heard "rocket science and Jim G" used in the same sentence!!

The thing is to have a scanner and the programming.

later, Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

Just think, maybe, one day, we can do this with original wood patterns and NC it over to a 5 axis wood mill? Anybody for toothpicks?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Don...
If you have the pattern, I can do this with anything! Jim

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

The Durant Motors Automobile Club