Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dort Lycoming model K series engine - starter issues

Hi all,

My name is Hesh, I'm from Melbourne Australia. I'm currently assisting my Dad with a restoration 1920-21 Gray Dort 'C49 Special Body' that was imported into Australia. This vehicle is essentially the Tourer however was one of 1 of 3 cars that was prepared/stripped down and driven 6,000 miles from Adelaide to Darwin back in 1922 for a promotion by Murray Aunger Motor Co., Ltd as part of an advertising campaign.

Anyway, our the current issues we are facing is with the Westinghouse starter which appears to be making some noise when operating/performing starts. It was been fully re-built and reconditioned however we are still experiencing problems with it.

Can anyone out there please provide us with some information regarding this starter motor so we can try and pin-point the problems, we we seem to be quite lost to be honest.

I hope someone could be of assistance to us! Much appreciated.

Regards - Hesh

Where Are You From? Melbourne, Australia

Re: Dort Lycoming model K series engine - starter issues

Can you provide a few more details such as: Was it rebuilt by a shop that specializes in auto electric rebuilding? Recently or has it sat for a long time since rebuilding? Type of noise such as grinding or squealing? Does the drive gear make the noise when engaging or engaged? If the starter is removed from the car and tested on a bench, does it make the noise? Does the starter labour when turning over, either on the car, on the bench or both? Is the battery right up to full charge and not tired?

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Dort Lycoming model K series engine - starter issues

Gray Dort is a Canadian built car in Chatham Ont. Stan Uher in Blenheim Ont is the world expert on Gray Dort and Dort.

Addy .. stanuher@hotmail.com

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club