Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What is this switch for?

Looks like an accessory add on switch to me for anything from a spot light to basic heater fan motor. But most likely some type of lamp.

If you say you've seen it before on another car in the same place it is possible it is a factory crude add on for say a dashboard lamp on some cars of the same run.
Though most external mounted dash lamps had their own toggle or push and turn body ,many did use a remote switch .Naturally dash gauges lit from behind had to have a switch some place.

My 23 Star gauges(Oil and Amp-meter) are designed to be lit from behind but there Is no lamps provided as they are not in a cluster format. I would have to install and external lamp and may have to use such a switch to do it..

DMS

Where Are You From? Ct

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Star Touring

Tom,

Looking at the wiring diagram of the 1925 Star 4 cylinder it shows a seperate switch for the dome light and "could" be located in the dash, most other models show them to be at the dome light itself.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep

I thought this was to turn on and off the dash lights. I know some of our cars have the switch for this. A lot of our era cars had a separate switch to turn these on rather than they come on automatically when you turn the headlights on. Don't known why but manufacturers did this.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

AH! I see in your picture you have the standard Model A Ford amp-meter ,with out question. But I won't tell , oops.:) I'm trying to jam one behind / into the original '23 Star bezel so it can replace the external mounted(Dodge?) and make a cleaner dash front by mounting behind the dash again .
Don't worry about that silly innocuous switch. It's for the original "ejection seat" incase you ever hit the sound barrier and need to bail before the car falls apart from vibration.

DMS

Where Are You From? Ct

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Star Touring

Ah the ever wondering what switches were for, all part of Durant's no two cars the same on same model ..

Have my own with the 32 and what was it for. Hole to left of lighter where key should be. In its past some owner switched lighter and ignition. Perhaps a lefty with lighter and ash tray to left of column. Wondered what the hole was for. I've seen a push button on one or two Durant's and De Vaux dashes, in same place. Most don't have it.

photo 1932 Durant17.jpg

Here it is again on a 1930 614 parts car.

photo Durant Meet 027.jpg

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The picture that I posted above was one I found off the internet (http://www.autonetlocator.com/view-1926-durant-star-photo-details-msgf.html). My dash looks like this:

I was thinking that all of the extra switches had been added after the car was built, but when I found the picture of another car with what lookers like the exact same switch, I started thinking it might be "original" equipment. Does anyone know if the Coupes had an overhead light? Mine does not, but if they did it seems likely that that is what the switch goes to.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

Tom

Where Are You From? Grand Junction, CO

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe

hello everyone my 31 devaux has the same switch,but its been so long since i drove it ( 1969) that i dont remember what it was for, dae

Where Are You From? so calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 31 devaux, 32 devaux

The Durant Motors Automobile Club