Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
early durant?

check out the 1921 Durant a=11 n-300. item #121772740867.. tell me what you think?

Where Are You From? west coast

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 flint

Re: early durant?

Hi Mike,

Sent request for additional pics and for clairification on model...Car appears to be a 1921 A-22 touring with an additional luggage rack....Never heard of a model A-11 ?

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep

We also have sent for info for the Registry. Could be a 1922 or 23 model year. Depends on correct vin. N-4305 1922 or C-4305 1923. Too bad the photo of cowl with plate is just angled wrong to read.

Plate may well have A-11 on it. Bob has three different A plates and I think A-21 or A-23 as well. Bob's A22 has one of the A designs. (Can't put my finger on the mail with the 21 or 23 plate pic )

Here's part of his mail from two years ago when he sent a few copy's he has mounted to Steve, Frank, Mike, and I.

There are examples here of three distinctly different "A" tags. The first being A-22 in the model box... I think the plan was to change the numbers as the years progressed (A-22, A-23, A-24). We have seen this in some of the jobber catalogs.
The next tag is to the right of the A-22 tags........ A simple "A" in the black model box. The tag on my A-22 is a third tag design. A simple "A" in a clear/white model box.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

This is the A-11 (early A-22) from ebay. It is an early A-22 as the vacuum tank is mounted to the motor. Note that the "N" is stamped, not painted on the id tag. Nice wood spoke wheels and painted radiator surround.

new york A-22 photo a22 ny.jpg

NY A-22 photo a-22 ny2.jpg

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22,B-22,633

photo DSCN1101.jpg

"New Jersy" plate..painted "A" in model box (box clear/white ?)...painted "N" stamped "E"

photo DSCN1098.jpg

"New York" plate model A-22 "N" painted
"New Jersy" plate "A" in model box (model box black) painted "N" stamped "E" in serial number

photo DSCN1102.jpg

photo DSCN1100.jpg

I have never seen a A-23 plate, however this B-23 plate has variant script. Although the B-23 plate is in poor condition...it was never used/there is no serial number stamped on it. ????

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22,B-22,633

Thanks Bob,

Learning something every day....The seller did get back and said he had made a typo on the model #, (Bobs picture cleared that up)) Like you say it is an early A-22 as the '23 would also have outside door handles....The biggest negative for me is the paint job, it looks good at a glance but up close it appears that it was shot dry, also missed painting a big spot under right front fender....Wheels and upholstery look great.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes , several

We also have the info now we have correct vin as N 5238 on this 1922 A22.
We got more on it from Donna Willis a couple of weeks before when she was selling it, owned by her father. This new owner sure hasn't had it long.
He's sent a photo of the engine serial but its a photo of the Autolite distributor plate ? GH 1036

Thanks Bob for your input and plate photos again. Almost right using memory but it was B23 not A23, you have.

One update to this, engine serial is 102626 and casting just shows 11-14 no year.

1922 A22 photo WP_20151001_003.jpg

I just noticed that this 1922 A-22 has cowl lights, am wondering if they were added on...I had thought that outside door handles, Vaccume tank on the firewall, and cowl lights were unique to the 1923 A-22.

Here's the first on forum about the car from Donna Willis and Steve went after its info the next day. Vin is missing the 8.

Aug 6 2014 1921 Durant Touring car for Sale

My Dad has a 1921 Durant Touring car in great condition with 39,229 miles on it. The vehicle was reconditioned in 2000. Also looking to find out how many of these were manufactured. Model A-22 Car No. N523 Blue 4 door with new canvas top.

Where Are You From? Swansea, MA

Do You own a car built by Durant? My Dad does

He's relisted the car on eBay 121775545586 still with wrong info but A22 this time. Donna's mail has reconditioned 2000. Price has sure jumped from what he paid for it by 1/3. Actually he has orig 121772740867 there as well. Guess two buyers get half a car each ?

Have I got this right Norm....This car was listed on Ebay and didn't make reserve at 10,655 then relisted at 18,500 and didn't get a bid....Now the car is at www.ebuyauto.v12soft.com and listed at 29,995 ....I have been contacted through the DMAC from an individual with the guise as being a potential buyer, he said that the car was listed at 29,000... I told him that was way too much to pay, he ask if I had seen the car and gave me the above address, after later looking up the adress of the site I could tell from the contact phone number it was the same phone number as the "potential buyer" Anyway, I didn't bother to call him back.

What a joke this guy is. Same car with price going ever upward. I see the mid 30's car beside the Durant is gone or moved

You better buy this car before it reach's a 6 digit figure.

Same old thing where folks think because its old its worth big bucks. With orphan cars like ours that just ain't so. Try about $10,000 if you are lucky for this. With declining interest in vintage, antique, old, muscle cars our hobby is a dying thing. Been voiced in many clubs.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club