Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant Dealer Newspaper Clipping from Kansas

A friend of mine shared this with me and I thought I would share it with the group. This is from a town just a little more than an hour down the road from me. (For the record, an hour is next door in Kansas.)

I especially like where is says on the sign "Can your car do this?".

Capture

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Re: Durant Dealer Newspaper Clipping from Kansas

Something for Mike to add to the museum.
That three wheel stunt is famous US and Canada with Durant vehicle's. I understand they did it here with a 1930 Durant, through Ottawa and Bells Corners, then back.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Todd,
Thanks for sharing. Great photo of Durant on 3 wheels.

Yates

Where Are You From? Newport, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 Flint E-55

Great picture, I'm always surprised at how many open cars people bought back then. I know they were far less expensive, but on a cold winter night in Kansas with the wind whipping through the car? The, (usually optional?) side curtains probably didn't do the trick of keeping the cold out. Ross

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Heard or saw somewhere people were leery of closed cars, which is why most were open. Guess they got braver mid twenty's ? Think this says why ... surrounded by plain glass until safety glass started to appear.

Found this.

Ford Closed Car advertisement
Currently on display
From the Smithsonian Collection

This 1924 Ford closed car advertisement pitched the comfort of being sheltered from the elements towards women automobilists. A woman in the driving seat of the car waits for her female companion, sheltered by an umbrella, to get in beside her. The text accompanying the image is full of words like "comfortable," "easy," "without effort," "convenient," and "desirable."

History
Though more expensive, heavier, hotter in the summer-and dangerous before the introduction of safety glass in the 1920s-closed body cars appealed to the buyer who wanted an affordable luxury. It kept you cleaner and out of the weather. And when metal replaced wood, it was easier to manufacture. Middle-class city and suburban dwellers especially appreciated the closed body car.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club