Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Honeycomb Radiator

i think i would try filling it with c.l.r. calcium lime and rust remover,ive tried it on small parts and with some patience it works pretty good.
dave

Where Are You From? so calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? devaux

An update on unplugging my honeycomb radiator....Radiator is now unplugged, freshly painted and back in my '29 coupe and it now runs cool.

In short, I simply stood radiator upright filled radiator with evapo-rust and injected air in the bottom outlet, this gave the core a constant backflushing perculation of evaporust up through the tubes, I kept the evapo-rust topped off to just above the top header plate, as tubes became unplugged I could add more air flow and more evapo-rust....Worked great....Will do an article with details as well as how to do a base gravity flow test.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes , several

Bill,

What a great idea of using Evap-O-Rust.
I’m using it for two projects right now it works great.
I has saved a few chrome parts I thought were toast, amazing stuff.
You can get free shipping from amazon.com right now if you order the gallon size.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60 Roadster

Bill;
Look at it this way, you just saved yourself a bunch of money!. Some years ago I did research into having my radiator rebuilt to showroom condition. Interestingly I found that there is only one company left in the world that is making the Auburn style honeycomb radiator parts that our cars and others used in the 20's. That company is in England. I even contacted a company in New Zealand who advertises that they fix and make replacements for the honeycomb. I contacted them and they said that they even get their parts from England. Shipping over there would be costly, but most importantly to track the shipment would be hard. A call to Brassworks in California who have done a couple of our style radiators got me a quote of around $2,500 to restore or rebuild my radiator. So you have saved yourself a bunch.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Rick, I found my best value on evapo-rust by buying the concentrate at ebay stores...An eight oz. bottle makes one gallon, free shipping at 15.90ea. and you will need 2 bottles...

What I found interesting was that the core was so plugged that it only took 4 quarts to initially fill the radiator to about 3/4" above header plate, then after about 2 1/2 days perculating and ocasionally topping off I drained out just over 5 quarts of evapo-rust....One thing to keep in mind is that all that rust and crud is a natural stop leak on these old radiators...In my case after perking for about a day there was a couple of seeps that showed up, so when I finished cleaning I drained out the evapo-rust and gave it a backflush with clean water then added a pinch of alum-a-seal and circulated that by purging for about 10 more minutes then put 3-lbs air pressure and no seaping, then I gave the radiator one last flush.....Mike, now I'm trying to figure out what I can spend that $2,500 dollars on that I don't have.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes , several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club