Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1923 or 1924 Star Touring

I met an old gentleman last week that has a complete 1923 or 1924 Star car that has been completely disassembled stored in the loft of his tractor shed. I had a chance to see what I could see of the car but it is stored with a host of other car parts and it was quite dark in there so it was hard to gauge what the condition is of everything. The body panels are quite rough with the wood pretty shaky and the metal rusted out in places. According to him the car was running when he took it apart 40 years ago and put it in the shed. There is an extra cowl and and he claims that the complete car is hiding in the clutter of that loft. I just wondered if anyone would be interested in a restoration project that would be a challenge but would bring another Star car into circulation when completed. I think the first 3 digits of the engine serial # were 150...

Where Are You From? Bancroft Ont. Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star touring

Re: 1923 or 1924 Star Touring

What kind of price is he asking? How would you get it OUT of the loft? Either way, lots of pics would be useful in a case like this.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tx

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Need the full serial and vin to pin it down better. There are C and F models in the 150 range depending if 5 or 6 digits for W4 engines.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

It was a 6 digit number but the side of the engine was dirty and with no rags and varsol to clean it, and a Bic lighter for light, I couldn't quite read the last 3 digits.
there were 2 cowls there and the one that was the most visible had Model "F" and the serial # started with a "T" which I understand to mean that the car was assembled in the Leaside plant in Toronto.

Where Are You From? Bancroft Ont. Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star touring

Right you are Mark, T is Leaside (Toronto). T used to 1931 when Alpha was used instead. 1931 407 was A, 614 was B and so on unless the model was updated. With mine Feb 1 1932 the B became a J. Often wonder what Dominion would have used if plant continued, past 1933 as the were up to P with the 1933 C-600 Frontenac. grin.

Still hard to pin it down with two cowls so one could be F and the other C model and W4 or W5 engine. Hopefully someone will take it on as project.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Boy I sure would have been interested in checking it out if I had known when I was in Bancroft a year ago! I passed through getting my A22 engine from Whitney. If nobody moves on it before next summer, maybe I can arrange a visit as part of a family vacation. I suspect the engine/chassis I brought home was sold new out of the Durant dealer in Bancroft. I sure wish I had more info on that dealer.
-Todd

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club