Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Timing issue or something else causing engine to push the flywheel the wrong way

Thank you for all the information Bill,

I am going to check what you mentioned here when we get a little bit of sun. I am heading out for a week, so it might be a little while before I get back to the forums.
I had a very little time to look at the distributor today as well as the starter.

The pinion on the starter has been banged up a bit, it looks okay, but it definitely scraped against the flywheel.

I wanted to see when the sparkplugs were firing, I don't have a test lamp, so I took the plugs out and grounded #1 against the body. It looks like #1 is firing when it's nearing the bottom of the power stroke rather than the top of the compression stroke. Could this have anything to do with the backwards kick?

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durant M2 1928

Re: Timing issue or something else causing engine to push the flywheel the wrong way

Hi Frank,
I'm not sure what 180 degrees out of tune is exactly but I am going to describe in my next post exactly how the timing is setup.
Thanks!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durant M2 1928

You have a lot going on there. Have you had the distributor out or someone before you had it out and it's not in the right place? An engine not timed correctly certainly can be a stubborn cuss and will show hissy fits and kicks.

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Prior to this issue, I hadn't had the distributor out. It really started happening once I put on the new cap and rotor. It's quite possible though I rotated the cap it bit by accident. Yesterday however I did remove it to try and align it properly. Before that it did look like it had been moved. The clamps were scraping awkwardly up against the side of the generator and the angle of the rotor was all backward. I used the manual to put it back in.
It asked you to rotate the engine to top dead center on one, then line up the rotor with #1 sparkplug and place it back in so the rotor is at a 45 degree angle toward the engine.
Hopefully that has the position right. Before I moved it, it was at a 45 angle away from the engine (But it was still having exactly the same issue.) Eventually I would want it to be the right way around. If I ever get a spark advance rig to hook up to it I would need the clamps on the side they are on now. I think.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Durant M2

The Durant Motors Automobile Club