Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need a Head Gasket for a 1931 Durant

1931 Durant. (six cylinder).

Need a head gasket.

Cast numbers near front, lower, passenger side of block.

22 AA 609
M
2-19-31

Stamped numbers on machined pad, near rear, lower, passenger side of block

Cast numbers (on cylinder head), near front of cylinder head.

22 AA 617

Where Are You From? Massachusetts

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931

Re: Need a Head Gasket for a 1931 Durant

Try Olson's gaskets in Washington state. I'm sure they are out of NOS gaskets, but pretty sure they have a pattern for the Continental 22A. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

ross,
thanks for your reply.
i got a gasket at olsen.
got the head off and there is a 1/8 drilled hole in the #6 combustion chamber that goes thru to the top of the head, then plugged with a 1/8 pipe tap.

any ideas what this is for??

also,
every intake valve has a spring, 'in the port area' between the backside of the valve head and the port casting.

any ideas ??????

all valves have springs under the tappet covers.

Where Are You From? massachusetts

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The 1/8" pipe plug and hole through the head is so you can place a wire through the hole and check when your #1 and #6 piston is at top dead center...Be sure not to use too short of wire or use a wire with a loop so the wire can't drop inside.

Don't know about springs between back side on the intake valves and valve guides??? I am not up on the 22-A but it sounds like a red neck job to me.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep

Glad that Olsen's was able to set you up with a head gasket. As Bill said, that pipe plug hole is factory correct. It was also used for an aftermarket accessory "Exhaust whistle" that you could open up with a dash control, they were very loud. I guess I can't see where you could put a spring between the back of the valve and the combustion chamber. Maybe a picture would help. Unless it was someone's idea to help the valves to close or open? Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club