Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Restoration help needed for 26 Star R

I've just purchases a 26 Star R as mentioned in a previous post. This car has had a semi-restoration about 20 years ago but It has painted wheels now instead of the lacquer I think was originally used. Car anyone confirm the type of finish that was originally on the wheels of a 26 Star R 6 cylinder?

Gene

Where Are You From? Northeast Tennessee

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 2, 1926 Star 6 and 1926 Star Landau (project)

Re: Restoration help needed for 26 Star R

Hi Gene;
I would say that from the factory the car had lacquer paint probably to match the body or the fenders. Although I've seen factory photographs of Durant cars with natural finished wheels, I don't think it was the norm and most were painted. I know on my 1928 they were painted to match the body, but I've restored them to natural wood. I like the look personally. When I painted the metal fellows I used acrylic enamel for a good hard finish, less chance to chip.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Re: Restoration help needed for 26 Star R

My 25 Star Touring has black spokes and silver rims. I sanded a couple of spokes and there was no clear finish next to the wood.

Where Are You From? North of SF

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club